- Birthday4th Jun, 59
- Birth PlaceIndia
- Marital statusMarried
Anil Dhirubhai Ambani is an Indian business tycoon and the son of legendary businessman and visionary Dhirubhai Ambani. After the division of the Reliance group in 2006, he became the chairman of the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, which is composed of high growth companies like Reliance Communications, Reliance Big Entertainment, Reliance Capital, Reliance Energy and Reliance Natural Resources Ltd. Further, his investment worth $825 million in Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks Studios to coproduce movies has catapulted him into a major player in the global entertainment business. In addition, his company Reliance Power Ltd.’s 3 billion dollar IPO is the biggest ever and was subscribed within a minute of being listed in 2008. However, his fortunes have seen a sharp decline as he has lost more than 50 percent of his wealth due to the plunging shares of his holdings. Billions of dollars evaporated from his reserves since 2008, owing to various factors, the most recent being accusations regarding the involvement of his company over granting of 2G spectrums, which has seen 3 of his top executives being arrested. Often dubbed as “Marathon man” in media circles, Anil Ambani is a self-confessed fitness fanatic who rises early in morning to jog in his plush neighborhood, while his chauffer drives behind him slowly. Anil follows a disciplined lifestyle; he doesn’t drink or smokes, and prefers a strict vegetarian diet. This younger heir to the legendary Dhirubhai Ambani’s legacy has a penchant for designer labels and latest gadgets. He has splurged a minuscule share of his wealth on his private jets and a yacht that he got built as a gift for his beautiful wife, Tina Munim, a celebrated Bollywood actress of yester years who also oversees a hospital in Mumbai named after his mother.
- “Considering all major parameters, we are amongst the top three business groups in the country ... with a market cap of over 500 billion rupees.”
- “It's a history of sorts. We have become the first company to create this kind of wealth for our shareholders without floating an IPO (initial public offering).”
- Concentration can be cultivated. One can learn to exercise will power, discipline one's body and train one's mind.
- “After this, RNRL being the same body of RIL shareholders, it would have the right to distribute the next 28 MBTU gas derived from the basin to group's power generation facilities.”
- Advertising is about norms and values, aspirations and prejudices. It is about culture.
- It is hope in this wider sense which enabled my father to build, from scratch, one of India's largest modern enterprises. His was an undertaking powered by hard work, initiative, self-belief but, above all else, the capacity, as he would often say, "to dream with your eyes wide open".
- " I think you have to work with people, and when I talk about managing relationships, don’t think the derogatory ‘‘managed relationships’’. It is a question of sharing emotion and feelings. The common denominator of everything can’t be money, and it should not be money."
- If you look at the top 20 companies of the world, 19 of them are still brick-and-mortar companies. I have nothing against tech companies. What I am saying is that if you have a car manufacturer or an oil and gas manufacturer, you won’t get the supply over the Net.
- I am sure that we will be able to move forward expeditiously.
Did you know?
- Every morning at 5:30 a.m., six days a week, Anil goes jogging for 18 km. Wherever in the world, he never misses this run.
- He is quite the car freak. He drives himself and is fond of his Mercedes and Range Rover.
- When hockey star Dhanraj Pillai asked for his autograph, they made a deal and gave each other their respective autographs. He is proud of the fact that Pillai had heard about his interest in longdistance running.
- Anil Ambani’s firms were banned from Secondary Market deals. The two firms namely the RNRL(Reliance Natural Resources Limited) and Reliance Infrastructure (R Infra) were banned from investing in Secondary Markets by The Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- He has been awarded the First Wharton Indian Alumni Award by the Wharton India Economic Forum (WIEF) in recognition of his contribution to the establishment of Reliance as a global leader in many of its business areas, December 2001
- He is conferred 'The Entrepreneur of the Decade Award' by the Bombay Management Association, October 2002
- His biggest asset is his 65% stake in telecom venture Reliance Communications
Family & relationships
The Sea Wind
Sea Wind is the fabulous home of the entire Ambani family. The much-talked about house has 14 floors, with the roof of the top floor being used as a helipad for taking off and landing helicopters. The house was built under personal supervision of Nita Ambani, the first lady of the Ambani empire and wife of Anil’s elder brother Mukesh Ambani.
Location: Sea Wind is located at Cuff Parade, an upmarket neighborhood in South Mumbai.
Interiors and Decor: The house's walls are adorned with paintings of famous Indian artists like M F Hussain, Raza and Anjolie Ela Menon. The ancient workmanship on the walls and roof, accentuated by Venetian glass formations demands a second look. The huge windows provide a breathtaking city view.
The Neighborhood: Famous residents of the area includes the family of world renowned painter MF Hussain.
The Sea Wind
Anil Ambani gifted his celebrated wife Tina, a super luxury yacht, to fulfill her long cherished dream to own one. Tina’s billionaire hubby reportedly spent whooping $84 million to buy this yacht made in Genova, Italy, and named Tian-using the first two letters of Tina and Anil. The Tian got both looks and substance and is said to be the most feature rich yacht owned by an Indian. Owing this yacht has placed Anil and his wife Tina in the clubs of rich Indians like liquor baron Vijay Mallya, Gautam Singhania, who also have fallen to the charms of super luxury yachts.
Bell 412Anil Ambani purchased this 13 seater helicopter in 2001. It has an advanced four blade main rotor with a smaller diameter that replaced the 212's two blade rotor. This helicopter came into news when it was reportedly sabotaged before Anil was about to aboard it for a business trip.
Global ExpressThe Global Express aircraft is an ultra-long range business jet. It has an amazing feature to fly over 5,950 nautical miles. It boats a 14.73 m-long cabin and is well equipped with noise and vibration control system. This makes it a perfect choice for him to hold meetings on board. Its luxurious amenities include customized interior layouts including an office and a stateroom.
One of the favorite jets of the Indian business tycoon Anil Ambani, “Falcon 2000” is a Transcontinental range corporate jet which completely matches his fashion. With the ability to sprint up to 3,800 nautical miles at M.80, the splendid jet completes shorter trips in no time.
Interiors: Anil’s majestic 8 seater jet features stunning interiors with a lavish cockpit design, custom designed professional cabin offering LCD screens for absolute leisure and easily accommodates up to 19 passengers in a high density layout.
Technical Specifications: Falcon 2000 is powered by two high performance Pratt & Whitney 308C engines and outfitted with Dasssault’s EASy Cockpit system for enhanced safety and information management. The magnificent jet has a wing span of 19.33m and wing area of 527.6sq.ft.
Custom professional design
Falcon 2000's Wing
Falcon 7XThe Falcon 7X made a place in Anil Ambani's jets because of its breakthrough design and extraordinary capabilities. Its unique features include a 5,950 nautical mile nonstop range and its unbeatable versatility.
Enjoys eatingAnil Ambani love to explore different foods. He is a complete foodie.
Fitness FreakAnil Ambani is very much concerned about his health and follows a healthy lifestyle. In his daily routine he wakes up early and goes for a walk.
Land RoverHe is a complete car freak and loves to drive himself his Land Rover. This vehicle is an amalgamation of luxurious features, exquisite craftsmanship and powerful off road prowess.
PorscheIt has some amazingly unique features which make it one of the favorite cars of Mr Ambani. It include extra 1.6 inches in the wheelbase, interior dimensions have also grown. Rear-seats now enjoy 6.3 inches of fore-and-aft sliding, as well as an adjustable backrest.Other interior features include Bluetooth, Bose surround sound and a Burmester high-end surround sound system, a 300 horsepower 3.6-liter V6. This engine is capable of a zero-to-60 sprint of 7.1 seconds with the manual transmission, or 7.4 seconds with the Tiptronic S automatic. Top speed is limited to 142 mph, regardless of transmission.
Lexus SUVThe Lexus SUV is a perfect choice to match the style of Anil Ambani. Its features includes sport tuned suspension, aluminum trim on the interior, a different front fascia, 18-inch wheels, leather interior with heated and ventilated seats, a voice-activated navigation system with rear parking assist and Bluetooth, a radar-enforced Pre-Collision System with Dynamic Radar Cruise control, parking assist, moonroof and much more.
The Mercedes 350 is one of the most relaxing cars ever built. It has the very powerful V6 engine, which throttles it to a speed of 60 mph in 6.5 seconds. .
He is passionate about cars and also has an enviable collection of them. He has a yellow Lamborghini that he uses on weekends. The car is considered the ultimate in style, power and opulence.
Anil Ambani married Tina Munim in the year 1991.