- Birthday5th Mar, 49
- Birth PlaceFrance
- Marital statusMarried
Bernard Arnault is richest person of Europe and among top five richest persons in world with a personal wealth that exceeds US $ 40 billion. He owns world's biggest luxury brands and played a big role in their rise to prominence. He is a man of taste and style and is a typical European when it comes to life style. As unlike his American and British peers he loves to spend his time playing piano and tennis. He is classically trained Pianist and loves Chopin compositions.
His fitness also has always been a matter of envy for other businessman thanks to his love for tennis. He is very fond of vintage wines and cognacs and his success in business of lifestyle can be attributed to his own understanding of style, sophistication and class, which he reflects from every aspect of his personality. He has married twice and has five children from his marriages.
He is also known de facto cultural ambassador of France and played a big role to diffuse the tensions between France and China in run up to Beijing Olympics. His services have been well appreciated with highest civilian decoration in France, "Grand Officer of the Legion of Honor". For all the busyness and hectic schedules, he makes sure that his family still gets the best part of him.
In his biography, The Creative Passion, he says that he always eats breakfast with his two youngest sons. As head of Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy (LVMH) Monsier Arnault has elevated the status of the corrporations acquired. One of the last acquisitions was the buying of shares for the famouse jewelry house Bvlgary. Bvlgary Jewelers one of the most recognized jewelry houses of the world serves clients such as the European Monarchies. The acquisition was gestioned through a hostile takeover of shares.
- What we do in our group is the opposite of the bad effects of globalization. We produce in Italy and in France and we sell to China, when usually it's the opposite.
- I like that combination between creativity and the creative process and the organization needed to make a business like this successful worldwide.
- Luxury goods are the only area in which it is possible to make luxury margins.
- I think in business, you have to learn to be patient. Maybe I'm not very patient myself. And I think what I've learned the most is be able to wait for something and get it when it's the right time.
- It is not enough to have a talented designer; the management must be inspired too. The creative process is very disorganised; the production process has to be very rational.
- When something has to be done, do it! In France we are full of good ideas, but we rarely put them into practice.
- If you deeply appreciate and love what creative people do and how they think, which is usually in unpredictable and irrational ways, then you can start to understand them. And finally, you can see inside their minds and DNA.
- “Ï feel very proud because we worked so hard to create it - and proud for France because everything is made here.”
- “Designers are closer to artists than to engineers”
- "It is not just enough to have a talented designer".
- "“Bernard has a very strong understanding of what the designers do. If he’s concerned about something, he’ll speak up, but he’ll never tell them, ‘Do this’ or ‘Do that."" says Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue".
- "“He’s remarkably patient. He’s prepared to take his time to make decisions,” says Anna Wintour, editor in chief of Vogue".
Did you know?
- Not only Bernard Arnault monopolizes market for luxury, but also has a 10% + stake in retail mega-store chain Carrefour.
- Bernard Arnault owns Britain's oldest luxury motorboat manufacturer company, "Princess Yachts".
- Apart from owning luxury motorboat company Bernard also acquired the "Royal van Lent", a luxury yacht building firm.
- Christian Dior was one of the first fashion brand acquired by Bernard in 1985.
- During the France stay of Tony Blair's daughter, when she was doing her studies in a french university. She was offered accommodation and security by Bernard Arnault, which later created controversy in Britain
- Bernard wanted to buy auction house Sotheby’s, after he failed to acquired it he paid a reported $97 million for Phillips, a distant number three auction house.
- An accomplished classical pianist whose favorite composer is Chopin, Arnault hadn’t heard the name of the Rolling Stones’ guitarist till his son convinced him to launch a advertisement campaign starring Keith Richards.
Family & relationships
Le Cheval Blanc
The Cheval Blanc is a glamorous hotel that combines a quiet alpine setting with the ultimate in chic, decadent living. Designed with cutting edge trends, this boutique hotel was created by design legend Bernard Arnault for his business as well as personal interest.
The Location: The Cheval Blanc is located in Courchevel 1850, the Jewel of the French Alps and the largest ski area in the world.
Interior and Décor: This boutique hotel is ostentatiously adorned in mélange of textures including rich velvet, deep faux-fur rugs, sleek animal hide and leather. The design unites the traditional Savoie elements with contemporary furnishings. The untreated wooden surfaces and photographs commissioned by Karl Lagerfeld boast the larky décor of the hotel.
Accommodation: The hotel comprises of 34 luxury Guests Rooms, one private Chalet and one extravagant Penthouse. Each of the room features a balcony that boasts spectacular mountain views. In addition, other amenities include a large heated pool with sauna, Jacuzzi and a gleaming fitness center. The Cheval Blanc is also home to the super exclusive Givenchy Snow Spa and a hair salon. The Louis Vuitton and Christian Dior boutiques are also available to enhance the desire of little luxury shopping.
Chateau Cheval Blanc
In 1998, Bernard Arnault and Albert Frere privately acquired this 150 years old castle surrounded by rich vineyard. Since 1871, this unchanged vineyard covers 41 hectares and aptly combines beauty, nature and history at one place and is considered to be one of best wine producing area in world. Bernard Arnault loves to spend time here with his family.
The Location: The estate of Chateau Cheval Blanc is located in the furthest corner of northwest Saint-Emilion in Bordeaux, France.
St. Tropez mansion
The richest person of Europe owns a classy villa in the island of St Tropez, a perfect location for an elegant mansion. The CEO of “Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy” loves to spend his vacation in his palatial water front villa in France.
Location: Bernard’s lavish mansion is situated in Paris, France.
Accommodation: The waterfront property is almost enveloped by lush green trees and abundant greenery, making the complete environment absolutely soothing and charming. Sight of the crystal clear water from the villa is an eye delight. The majestic mansion features exquisite exteriors and fully furnished comfortable interiors. Bernard’s investment in the plush villa is completely justified as the area’s gorgeous scenery and rich flora makes it an absolute paradise for the wealthy and eminent.
St. Tropez mansion
The perfect location
At 229'7" long, this Yacht may fade in front of modern super-yachts, but consider the fact, this yacht is now a vintage and had celebrities like Bono and Blair family on board. Then this command certain respect for its tradition and class. Perhaps the reason why the maker of world's finest luxury fashion accessories and luxury super-yachts chose it for himself.
Yachting on Amadeus
Amadeus and its crew
The French billionaire privately owns this $35 million oasis in the Bahamas. The 133-acre estate features several hilltop villas, pristine beaches, tennis courts and a small marina.
Bernard Arnault's oasis
Bernard Arnault is a trained classical Pianist whose favorite artist is Chopin. His second wife Hélène Mercier is also a trained Pianist who still hold a few concerts every year.
Bernard Arnault plays tennis regularly for fitness and pleasure. He is also a regular visitor of key matches at french open and can be spotted there with his family in VIP boxes. He is also rumored to be a fan of Roger Federer.
One of the most reliable automobile which comprises style and comfort.
Bernard love wines and thus he owns more than 10 top wine brands of world, his love for wine is so that he loves to spend his vacations at vineyards. His favorite region is bordeaux where he manage a old and beautiful vineyard Chateau Cheval Blanc with help of his friend Albert Frere.
French Swiss Alps
He designed a hotel in French Swiss Alps to use it as his own luxury vacation destination. This hotel boasts of many natural springs and waterfalls and is considered a good ski destination.
Fondation Louis VuittonThe Louis Vuitton Foundation for Creation , founded in 2006 allegedly at cost of $140 million , consists of the group LVMH and its subsidiaries, and aims to sustain patronage initiatives undertaken since 1990 by the group and promote contemporary art and culture. It is also expected to become a major Art museum of France for contemporary art.
Bernard Arnault is an avid art collector and is known for his collection of contemporary Art.