- Birthday10th May, 60
- Birth PlaceIreland
- Marital statusMarried
The multi-millionaire frontman of U2 could be now the richest musician in the world, thanks to his $90 million investment in the social networking giant Facebook. His investment group, Elevation Partners, now owns 2.3% of Facebook, which is worth an estimated $1.5 billion based on the company's IPO, according to various reports on the web.
Paul David Hewson, most commonly known by his stage name ‘Bono’ is a singer, an activist, a peacemaker and philanthropist. World knows him due to several reasons and in all the fields he is a powerful voice indeed. As lead vocalist of Dublin based rock band U2, Bono has won record number of awards which includes 22 Grammy awards from 34 nominations (a record) and the 2003 Golden Globe award for best original song. A prolific songwriter whose music is known for its politically charged lyrics and socially sensitive theme, he was a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003, 2005, and 2006 and was also named as Person of the Year by "Time" in 2005 for his philanthropy and activism.
One of the pioneers of recent go green movement along with "Al Gore", he is a forefront environmentalist who is spreading the message of go green. He is the closet counterpart to "John Lennon"; his transcendent musical talent champions another cause which is the battle against global poverty. Given his influence as song writer, activist and Philanthropist, yet all this hasn't prevented him from enjoying luxuries unlike Lennon. This U2’s lead vocalist owns a yacht, several estates and cars from sports to zero emission ones. Fans also know him for luxury sunglasses, which he always wears in public. He is a fashion icon who was chosen by Louis Vuitton to do a commercial for them. When he’s not touring the world for a concert or for fund raising events, he likes to spend time with wife and children at his home in Dublin.
- Books! I dunno if I ever told you this, but books are the greatest gift one person can give another.
- Distance does not decide who is your brother and who is not. The church is going to have to become the conscience of the free market if it's to have any meaning in this world - and stop being its apologist.
- Don't get me too excited because I use four letter words when I get excited.
- I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside. I want to reach out and touch the plains, where the streets have no names.
- Music can change the world because it can change people.
- "To touch is to heal, to hurt is to steal If you want to kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel."
- I Don't believe in Riches but You should see Where I live"
- History, like God, is watching what we do.
- Be honest. We have the science, the technology, and the wealth. What we don't have is the will, and that's not a reason that history will accept.
- My heroes are the ones who survived doing it wrong, who made mistakes, but recovered from them.
- To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater.
- We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong.
- The less you know, the more you believe.
- It costs a fortune to look this trashy.
- To touch is to heal, to hurt is to steal.
- Every Artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief. All kill for inspiration and sing about their grief.
- Overcoming my dad telling me that I could never amount to anything is what has made me the megalomaniac that you see today.
- The right to be irresponsible and stupid is something I hold very dear. And luckily it is something I do well.
- I'm not in a position to be seen as a spokesman for a generation. I mean, how can you be a spokesman of a generation if you've nothing to say, other than 'Help!'
- You put on the leather pants and the pants start telling you what to do.
- "The job of art is to chase away ugliness".
"When you are trapped by poverty, you are not free. When trade laws prevent you from selling the food you grew, you are not free, ... When you are a monk in Burma this very week, barred from entering a temple because of your gospel of peace ... well, then none of us are truly free."
Did you know?
- He was polled as one of "100 Greatest Britons" in a public poll, despite the fact that he is of Irish Nationality.
- Bono and his U2 bandmates were nominated for a Best Original Song Oscar in 2003 for the track "The Hands That Built America", which featured on "Gangs of New York" - but lost out to Eminem's "Lose Yourself", from the movie "8 Mile".
- He has collaborated with a huge range of artists in his career - including Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Jennifer Lopez, Frank Sinatra, and Luciano Pavarotti.
- Bono has enjoyed several forays into acting -- he had small roles in "The Million Dollar Hotel" and "Across The Universe."
- His favorite food is fish and chips, and his favorite drink is Jack Daniels or tea.
- His work as a social campaigner for humanitarian work world over and his efforts to raise awareness of Aids in Africa earned him the Man of Peace title in 2008.
- He was a nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003, 2005, and 2006 for his philanthropy.
- In 2002, Bono and his fellow U2 band members appeared on postage stamps in Ireland.
- His greatest gift in life perhaps was his eldest daughter Jordan, who was born on his 29th birthday.
- He is fluent in English, Italian, Spanish and also knows some Gaelic.
- Bono helps his wife, Alison Hewson's design clothing called EDUN (nude backwards).
- Bono's onstage alter-egos included The Fly, Mirror Ball Man, and Mr. MacPhisto.
- Bono is a keen chess player, falling in love with the game at the age of 12 after he became "fascinated" with its grandmasters, As a child he was a chess champion.
- The rocker Paul David Hewson’s nickname Bono, was derived from the Latin word meaning ‘good voice’.
- Was invited to meet with Pope Benedict XVI, along with more than 500 other artists and performers, at the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican on November 21, 2009. The goal of the event was to restore the special historical relationship between faith and art.
- During his childhood and adolescence, Bono and his friends were part of a surrealist street gang called "Lypton Village".
- He was awarded the Pablo Neruda International Presidential Medal of Honour from the Government of Chile in 2004.
- Once IRA (Irish Republican Army) threatened to kidnap Bono, and IRA supporters also attacked a vehicle carrying the band members due to their politically themed songs.
Family & relationships
Bono owns this large Manor style house in Dublin and according to him, "It's beautiful there.” He also got some ambitious plans to extend this mansion for which the council has given the green signal. Bono and his wife are also planning to develop below ground plant room to the west of the main house. The house got a tremendous view out over Killiney Bay and from Bray to Dalkey, with its medieval church and 19th century Martello Tower. It is just a perfect place, so quiet that the predominant sounds are the birds in the trees and the sea crushing off the rocks below.
The Location: The Killiney mansion is located in the suburb of Dublin where the rich and famous people live.
New York Apartment
Bono owns this beautiful Apartment in the prestigious ‘The Sam Remo’ apartment building in Manhattan New York. In 1982, it was bought by Steve Jobs and Bono purchased from him for $15 million.
The Location: Apartment is located in the north tower of The Sam Remo apartment building in Manhattan, New York.
Accommodation: This 27th floor (top floor) apartment of the north tower, now a unique duplex has 3,500 sq. feet of interior space and 1,300 sq. feet of terraces. Jobs reportedly spent years renovating his apartment with the help of I.M Pei, only to sell it almost two decades later to Bono.
The Neighborhood: Celebs like Demi Moore, Steven Spielberg, Steve Martin, and Princess Yasmin Aga Khan, daughter of Rita Hayworth also owns apartments in this prestigious The Sam Remo apartment building.
New York apartment
Exe bord du Mer Mansion
Bono’s luxurious beachfront villa is four floor high and it got grounds back on to the railway station Exe bord du Mer.
Accommodation: The accommodation of this lavish mansion is fully private as its living area rises five meters up from the beach itself. Because the beach here is very stony, it is accessible only on foot through tunnels that run under the railway.
The Location: This Villa is located on the beachfront at Eze-bord de-mre.
The Neighborhood: Bono’s neighbors in Eze bord de Mer include his fellow U2 member The Edge and singer cum song writer Julian Lennon.
Lunch at Bono's place
The Cyan yacht
U2’s lead vocalist Bono owns a luxury yacht, The Cyan, a medium sized 140 ft long yacht. This acclaimed singer, known for his humanitarian acts will soon be seen on his paradise on water, earlier had been seen enjoying holidays with his family on yachts. Formerly known as Renalo, The Cyan was built in 1997, and got the major refit the same year. Bono and his family rented the yacht in 2007, for spending vacation time, and later he purchased the yacht and repainted it blue from its original white. It’s been reported that Bono had spent estimated $25-30 million to decorate his prized possession as per his choice. The Cyan can cruise at the maximum speed of 19 knots.
Accommodation: The yacht got six cabins with room that can accommodate 12 guests. Constructed with limed oak and mahogany, each of the room is fitted with plasma screens, DVD players and satellite TV’s. The other notable amenities featured in the yacht includes, an on-deck Jacuzzi, swim platform and several water sports toys.
Charter: The Cyan had a weekly charter price of $204,000 to 255,000.
U2 360/BlueLine MD-83 F-GMLK
He hired Airbus A310s from French company Blue LIne for 18 months in 2009 - 2011. He customized the tail to write large U2 360 on its tail.
He loves to play guitar, but is a better singer than guitarist. He once said, "I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly."
Bono is known to be a very keen chess player, he said "he fell in Love with the game at the age of 12, after he became "fascinated" with its grandmasters", As a child he was very good at chess.
1980 Mercedes 450 SEL
Perhaps, 1980 Mercedes 450 SEL is the first luxury Car of Bono which he later auctioned off to charity. This Mercedes-Benz was high-performance version of the S-Class luxury Sedan. It was powered by a cast iron V8 engine and had a top speed of 140 miles per hour.
The eminent singer and activist, Bono owns a Maserati Quattroporte, which he adores to drive during spare time. Bono’s plush vehicle features supreme interiors with roomy back seats offering augmented comfort like home. Powered by a 4.2L V8 engine, the majestic luxury sedan delivers 425hp with a top speed of 167mph and attains o-62 mph in mere 5.6 seconds. The performance oriented 4 door Italian luxury vehicle incorporates modern electronic goodies with a handsome dash and console making it an ideal high-end luxury sedan for a celeb.
Volkswagen Tiguan is a 4-door sport utility vehicle, powered by 2.0 L TSI 200 PS (147 kW) engine, this car has a top speed of 150 km/h and acceleration of 0 to 100 km/h in just 14 seconds.
Spacious and Luxurious
Ducati 916 is an Italian Sports Bike, powered by 916 cc, V-Twin, fuel injected engine. This bike could produce 114 bhp @ 9000 rpm and can touch top speed of 260 km/h (161.6 mph).
The eminent singer owns a Tesla Roadster, an eco-friendly Hybrid car featuring aggressive looks and delivering a power packed performance. Tesla Roadster comes outfitted with a 375-volt air-cooled electric motor developing 288 hp and 273 pound-feet of torque, enabling the car to attain acceleration from zero to 60 mph in estimated 3.9 seconds. The interiors incorporate standard leather upholstery and heated seats for an exceptionally comfortable ride. Optimum safety for passengers is ensured with the installed antilock brakes and side airbags.
Mercury Island is a private island off the northeast coast of New Zealand's North Island, and it features luxurious residences which can be hired for around $20,000 NZD per day. Bono and The Edge stayed on the island during U2's Vertigo concerts in Auckland in November 2006.
Grammy award winner Bono adores spending holidays in his favorite destination “Mediterranean islands” often known as the magical islands. One of the most popular holiday destinations in the world, the marvelous islands have a rich history and feature charming people and the most delighting food.
Location: The paradise islands are located in the world’s largest inland sea “Mediterranean Sea” which includes islands in Italy, Greece, France, Spain, Cyprus, Croatia, Turkey, Tunisia, Syria, Malta and Albania.
Main Attraction: The Mediterranean islands are often referred as the “Paradise of Blue” because of its marvelous islands dotted with stunning beaches for all tastes, crystalline water, amazing landscapes, picturesque harbors, diversity of cultures, pretty houses and elegant villas, excellent night views, and spectacular places of historical interests, making them an ideal holiday hotspot for celebs.
Sardinia and Sicily in Italy are the largest of the Mediterranean islands. Sardinia features a series of hills, narrow highlands, mountainous massifs, rocky coasts, beautiful beaches with fine sand and an incredible seaside landscape while Sicily features fascinating landscape of beauty with interestingly scattered smaller islands. The “Island of love” Cyprus features a pristine clear aquamarine color sea, beautiful mountains, castles, temples and churches loaded with historical interests. “Djerba” in Tunisia is a natural paradise and mythical island famous for its great golf courses, lively markets, palm grooves, bike trails and camel rides.
The “Island of love” Cyprus
Sardinia in Italy
Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa (or DATA) was a multinational non-government organization founded in January 2002 in London by U2's Bono. Later in 2007, DATA was discontinued and merged with "ONE Campaign" to join forces.
EDUN was founded in 2005 by Bono and his wife Ali Hewson, it's a fashion brand with a mission to encourage trade in Africa and to raise awareness of the possibilities there. In May 2009, luxury group LVMH bought a 49% stake in the company.
ONE was founded by a coalition of 11 non-profit humanitarian and philanthropy organizations, which includes DATA, World Vision, Oxfam America, and Bread for the World — with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The campaign was named after the co founder and member Bono's song "One".
Founded by Bono and Bobby Shriver in 2006, “Product Red” aims at encouraging private firms to donate funds to community health organizations in developing countries, in order to support programs which battle diseases like AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. After the laborious promotion campaigns, with Microsoft founder “Bill Gates” and Dell computers Chairman “Michael Dell” standing with him for the noble cause, Bono has raised a huge deal of money for Africa to combat AIDS via his co-founded charity plan.
Bono was seen spotting a custom made Bulgari Sunglasses during the 360A° Tour at Ciudad de La Plata stadium in La Plata, Argentina on April, 2011.
Emporio Armani - 9285 sunglasses
He sports them frequently to cover his sensitive eyes.
Emporio Armani 9592
He use to wear them during early 2000's.
Bono and his wife Alison were featured in advertisement with Louis Vuitton Bags.
Rock & Republic Neil Monogram Jeans
Bono wear sports jeans from Rock & Republic Neil Monogram Jeans during his performances.
He wears a ROLEX DATE JUST watch.