- Birthday12th Aug, 30
- Birth PlaceUnited States
- Marital statusDivorced
From a young boy who traded currencies in the Hungarian black market during World War II to becoming a multibillion dollar enterprise that he is today, George Soros’ rise has been phenomenal to say the least. Soros was born in Hungary in 1930 which he left to escape the Nazi atrocities and moved to England. There, he graduated from the London School of Economics and worked in different financial firms where he learnt the art of making money. Soros then went on to set up his very own company, Soros Fund Management that’s notoriously famous for shorting the British currency. During the September of 1992 Soros single handedly stopped the Bank of England from fixing exchange rate. The heist earned Soros an estimated $1.8 billion in a day and the title of "the man who broke the Bank of England". Soros added another feather to his cap by co-founding Quantum Fund in 1970 along with Jim Rogers. The investment firm achieved a return in excess of 4000% within the next ten years and is majorly responsible for creating the lion’s share of Soros’ huge wealth. Apart from creating wealth and influencing economies, Soros is also a philanthropist. Since 1970s he has been funding black students to attend the University of Cape Town in South Africa. He is the chairman of the Open Society Institute and has spent more than $400 million for social welfare in many countries through various charity organizations. More recently, Soros donated $100 million to Human Rights Watch and $1 million to Media Matters for America in 2010. His penchant for writing is also noticeable as he has penned down more than eight books on diverse topics till date.
- "I'm only rich because I know when I'm wrong...I basically have survived by recognizing my mistakes."
- “Misconceptions play a prominent role in my view of the world.”
- A full and fair discussion is essential to democracy.
- An open society is a society which allows its members the greatest possible degree of freedom in pursuing their interests compatible with the interests of others.
- I chose America as my home because I value freedom and democracy, civil liberties and an open society.
- “My main concern is with the world order”
- I think there's a lot of merit in an international economy and global markets, but they're not sufficient because markets don't look after social needs.
- "I was a human being before I became a businessman."
- “The main obstacle to further progress on the resource curse is China, and to a lesser extent India.”
- "If investing is entertaining, if you're having fun, you're probably not making any money. Good investing is boring."
- “I commissioned two political experts to advise me about what I could do to oppose the re-election of President Bush.”
- "Markets are constantly in a state of uncertainty and flux, and money is made by discounting the obvious and betting on the unexpected."
- “Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes.”
- “The world order needs a major overhaul.”
- “Stock market bubbles don't grow out of thin air. They have a solid basis in reality, but reality as distorted by a misconception.”
- “The worse a situation becomes the less it takes to turn it around, the bigger the upside.”
- “The anti-resource curse initiative has stronger legs than most and that has made me very enthusiastic.”
- “It is much easier to put existing resources to better use, than to develop resources where they do not exist.”
- “The markets are always on the side of exuberance or fear. It's fear and greed. Right now greed has the better of it, which is rather nice (for investors) as long as it doesn't get out of hand,”
- “As I like to put it, we have hit pay dirt. The effort to cure the resource curse is a good example of what private foundations working with NGOs can accomplish.”
Did you know?
- About US$8 billion is given by Soros to to human rights, public health, and education causes since 1979.
- Soros's once had a small stake in the Carlyle Group.
- He bought 4 % stake in the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) in 2010 for about $35 million.
- Soros beacme a minority partner with a group to buy a Major League baseball team named 'the Washington Nationals' in 2005.
- Once In an interview with The Washington Post for President George W. Bush, Soros said that removing him from office was the 'central focus of my life' and 'a matter of life and death.'
- In 2009 he donates $100 million to Central Europe and Eastern Europe to recover from the impact of the economic crisis on the poor.
- His elder brother, Paul Soros, an Engineer, private investor and philanthropist headed Soros Associates and himself stablished the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships for Young Americans.
- Once George Soros with his son Gregory were fined for $250 when there family Labrador, 'Naomi' bit a man.
Family & relationships
New York apartmentGeorge Soros apparently paid $24 million as divorce settlement in order to keep the 16-room apartment at 1060 Fifth Avenue, New York that he shared with his ex-wife Susan Weber.
Southampton MansionGeorge Soros also owns a super luxurious home that is located in Southampton, New York.
Bedford mansionBedford has always attracted high profile personalities from all spheres to build a shelter for themselves in the pristine and bucolic pasturelands. Multibillionaire George Soros also owns a vast estate in Bedford which he bought from the ‘Jurrasic Park’ author Michael Crichton. In 2003, he added a 19-room mansion spread over 63 acres to the existing property.
The Soros Fund Management’s chairman adores going on a vacation trip to the long island “The Hamptons” located in New York. Organizing dozens of summer share parties, the island is the preferred choice for full on entertainment for everyone.
Location: The elegant island featuring pristine beaches, fashionable restaurants and an exciting nightlife is located in Bridgehampton in New York, USA
Main attraction: The longest island offers some of the greatest beaches, world class wineries and a rich cultural history. Marvelous landscapes and views of sunset from the beaches is worth capturing, which often makes them overcrowded. A couple of stupendous museums, eye popping summer homes, marvelous restaurants, a range of comfortable accommodations, great shopping and a fabulous Japanese garden make the Hamptons a real paradise to visit. Hamptons is the hub of summer share parties and lots of enjoyment is ensured with the pool parties organized over the weekend. Clear water with endless stretches of sand offers enjoyment while dining outside or sunbathing. A remote and peaceful retreat is ensured by the paradise Fire Islands enabling the visitors to escape the masses.
Sunbath at the beaches
Millennium Promise AllianceAnother charitable cause that has found a patron in George Soros is Millennium Promise Alliance whose mission is to remove extreme poverty by 2025. Soros has donated an estimated $50 million to the UN Millennium Project.
Millennium VillagesGeorge Soros the philanthropist supports a number of good causes. The most prominent being Millennium Villages which aims to uplift villages of developing countries and eradicate poverty that adversely affects more than a billion people worldwide.
Human Rights Watch
An International NGO concerned with human rights, this group recieved $100 million from Soros.