- Birthday11th Jun, 59
- Birth PlaceUnited Kingdom
- Marital statusMarried
- Humility was considered a great virtue in my family household. No show of complacency or self-satisfaction was ever tolerated. Patting yourself on the back was definitely not encouraged, and pleasure or pride would be punishable by death.
- Girls are complicated. The instruction manual that comes with girls is 800 pages, with chapters 14, 19, 26 and 32 missing, and it's badly translated, hard to figure out.
- As a real person, he wouldn't last a minute, would he? But drama is about imperfection. And we've moved away from the aspirational hero. We got tired of it, it was dull. If I was House's friend, I would hate it. How he so resolutely refuses to be happy or take the kind-hearted road. But we don't always like morally good people, do we?
- My dad gave me my first bike at 16. I soon fell off and was in a wheelchair for weeks. I haven't fallen since.
- I run six-to-eight miles a day, plus weights and aerobics in the lunch hour. I also lie a lot, which keeps me thin.
Did you know?
- He first became known as one-half of the Fry and Laurie double act, along with his friend and comedy partner Stephen Fry.
- He was listed in the 2011 Guinness World Records as the most watched leading man on television and was one of the highest-paid actors in a television drama.
- He won the British national title before representing Britains Youth Team at the 1977 Junior World Rowing Championships.
- He receive a Golden Globe in both 2006 and 2007 for his role in House and the Screen Actors Guild award in 2007 and 2009.
- He sings and plays piano, guitar, drums, harmonica and saxophone.
Family & relationships
Magical garden paradise
The grouchy and sarcastic "Dr.House" finally bought a new house for himself - a mansion in Outpost Estates. After a $250,000 reduction, the listed price of the home was $3,999,000. The listing also names the home asMagical Garden Paradise.
Location: The new home for Hugh Laurie is located as part of Outpost Estates in Hollywood Hills, LA, California.
Accommodation: The gated, English county house measures 3,242 sq ft in area. It has ample accommodation with its 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. So vast is the accommodation that there is talk about Laurie relocating here with family! The house also has a guest house attached to it. The motorcourt can easily accommodate 3 cars.
Features: With a definite English-countryside feel to it, the house is a gated property that sits on 1.2 acres of real estate. The spectacular gardens, excellent views of the city, mature tree plantings, water features and hiking trails, make the house a nature-lover's delight. The kitchen is rustic in its style while the pool, atop the hill, is fresh and modern. There is also fully-equipped gym in the house. News is that the house needs a little refurbishing and it is ready to become a real paradise.
Neighborhood: This neighborhood in Los Angeles is home to more than a thousand celebrities, hence the name - Hollywood Hills.
Cayman S Porsche
Hugh’s love of fast cars is satiated by his metallic black $70,000 Cayman S Porsche. The vehicle’s powerful 3400cc H6 engine delivers an output of 320HP and 251 lb-ft of torque. Superb acceleration is the hall mark of this iconic sports car and it can zoom to a speed of 100 km/hour from scratch in less than 5 seconds. Maximum speed possible is a very impressive 275 km/hour. The Bose surround sound system delivers a top class audio performance and the car can also be fitted with a TV tuner card.
Triumph Bonneville motorcycle
Laurie is an avid biker and loves to take out his black colored $12,000 Triumph Bonneville motorcycle for long rides. The machine’s classic spoke wheels, chromed headlights along with the retro styled tubular steel frame provide a vintage sixties look. The bike has a matching performance to go with its trendy looks and its air cooled DOHC 865cc parallel-twin fuel injected engine delivers 68PS of power along with 68Nm of torque. The seat is very comfortable and has a stylized look. A superb suspension system ensures a very convenient riding experience.
1966 Ford Galaxie convertible
The actor loves vintage cars and has been photographed several times driving around the streets of Los Angeles in his red colored 1966 Ford Galaxie convertible. The iconic car costs up to $30,000 and features a retractable sun roof. Its 7000cc 428-4V engine delivers a formidable punch of power and torque measured at 2800 rpm. The vehicle interiors are extremely spacious and the bucket seats have been upholstered with high quality leather. The convertible boasts of Ford’s unique 3-speed Cruise-O-Matic system and is equipped with an in-built radio.
Save the Children
Founded in the UK in 1919, the Save the Children Fund provides children affected by natural disasters and military conflict with emergency aid, education, medical care and economic assistance. British comic actor Hugh Laurie has been associated with the organization for a long time and contributes to it through the trust of his charity musical group “Band From TV”.
The Art of Elysium
The Art of Elysium was created in '97 and the organization encourages professional musicians, artists and actors to contribute their talent and time to workshops for children that are battling severe medical and health issues. Hugh Laurie contributes to the organization by forwarding proceeds from his band’s trust as well as by attending benefits like Pieces of Heaven Art Auction that support the organization.
National Alliance on Mental Illness
Being an occasional sufferer of clinical depression, Hugh Laurie donates a lot of his time and money to organizations that help improve the quality of life for people living with mental illnesses. The National Alliance on Mental Illness is one of the primary beneficiaries of his band’s trust. The organization works towards funding research on prevention and cures for mental illnesses.