- Birthday1st Jan, 70
- Birth PlaceUnited States
- Marital statusSingle
- Acting is an art form and you want to take roles that are challenged and it's more of a challenge I think to play dark characters. Not that I want to always play those, but it is a challenge and challenges are rewarding and fun.
- If the work is good, what does it matter? I'm doing it because I love it. Why not do as many things I love as I can? As long as the work is good.
- Directing, editing, and everything about filmmaking has definitely changed me as an actor.
- When I sign on for a project, I'm there to give the director all the material he or she might need to tell their story, and that's the number one priority.
- Not having any real direction, one writer would lead me to another.
Did you know?
- He won a Golden Globe Award for playing the title character in the TV biographical film James Dean in 2001.
- He was awarded an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor for his role in 127 Hours.
- He has taught a class at New York University in feature filmmaking and production.
- He is a PhD candidate at Yale University.
- He was presented the 2,492nd Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on March 7, 2013.
Family & relationships
Silver Lake HomeThe two-unit property spans more than 1,400 square feet boasts two bedrooms, 2.75 bathrooms, a fireplace and open kitchen.
The Art of Elysium
A non-profit organization founded in 1997, the Art of Elysium encourages children battling serious illnesses and medical conditions to do things they love. And for this, it ropes in artists, musicians and actors seeking their time, talent and energies to do the same. James Franco has been associated with this organization for a long time now. In fact, he was honored for his tireless efforts in charity. Introduced to the organization by co-star, Kirsten Dunst, he involves himself in the charity's programs passionately. He feels that this is a wonderful opportunity to give back to humankind for all the good that he has received.
Japanese tsunami relief
Franco has always believed that the key to life and happiness is to help others. He is on a constant lookout for opportunities to give back to mankind and society. And so, it was not surprising that he went all out for the Japanese when they were struck by a tsunami in 2011. He participated in a celebrity-charity auction and was seen in the thick of things. The international level auction has generated tremendous interest and funds for those struck by the tragedy.
Apple iPod Earphones
James Franco has been spotted listening to music on his Apple iPod Earphones quite frequently. It works with all iPod models with its sleek design, offers a super comfortable fit and excellent quality making it a perfect alternative headphone. The Apple iPod earphones fit easily in the ears and the sound quality is extra-ordinary whether being in the balcony or on the treadmill.
Reebok Men’s Club C Sneaker
He wears the stylish Reebok Men's Club C Sneakers for his movie premiers. These shoes are one of Reebok's best sellers due to its international appeal and excellent comfort. The fabric is of soft leather with cushioned colored terry cloth on the insoles and with tennis- style different colors on the out soles.
Dolce & Gabbana DG4113 Sunglasses
Dolce & Gabbana DG41113 Sunglasses are the actor's favorite and he loves wearing them. The sunglasses are of Italian origin and comes in brown shades. The shades are especially designed for men with a semi-rimless shape plastic frame. The feature comfortable nose pads and spring hinge.
Ray-Ban 4125 Cats 5000 Sunglasses
Franco loves wearing Ray-Ban 4125 cats 5000 Sunglasses and dons them frequently. 4125 Cats 5000 is an aviator sun-glass with a retro look specially designed for the sports enthusiast. Its unique style comes in the form of the retro pin hinges which comes in different colors.