- Birthday28th Oct, 74
- Birth PlaceUnited States
- Marital statusMarried
- I had a really wonderful upbringing. We were a tight family. It was wonderful to grow up with so many siblings. We were all just a year or two apart, and we were always so supportive of each other. I learned everything from my older brother and sister and taught it to my younger sisters.
- My significant other right now is myself, which is what happens when you suffer from multiple personality disorder and self-obsession.
- I think the day that I become comfortable doing interviews and going on talk shows is the day that I don't know what it is to be a human being anymore.
- You see so many earnest characters in movies all the time, everyone has a purpose.
- Acting is real important to me. I love it, and it's something I care about.
Did you know?
- He earned a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor as well as nominations for the Golden Globe Award, Screen Actors Guild, Satellite Award, and BAFTA Award for his role in the epic film Gladiator, in 2000.
- He won a Grammy Award for the soundtrack to Walk the Line from his album.
- He was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor, and won a Golden Globe in the same category as cast in Walk the Line.
- He won the Volpi Cup for Best Actor and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his role in the film The Master in 2012.
Family & relationships
Los Angeles home
Joaquin Phoenix announced to the media about his decision to sell of his lavish Hollywood Hills villa valued at approximately $4 million on October 2008, which the actor purchased in 2006. It has served as his permanent residence for the best part of the past seven years and he has mostly stayed there alone. The controversial star’s decision to sell off the property was apparently motivated by his decision to quit acting and concentrate on his music career. It’s not clear though if Phoenix managed to find any buyer willing to shell out such a hefty price tag and whether his apparent decision to get rid of the home was part of the elaborate publicity stunt which the actor pulled off on an unsuspecting media as part of his efforts to film the mockumentary “I'm Still Here”. In any case the villa still remains unsold and Joaquin still resides there.
Location: The property is situated in the legendary Hollywood Hills neighborhood in the Californian city of Los Angeles.
Accommodation: Joaquin’s two storied residence comprises of 3200 square feet of living area and consists of four bedrooms, step down living room, a modern gourmet kitchen, dining room and five bathrooms. The house opens out to a lovely tree lined backyard and patio. Phoenix’s villa offers superb views of Los Angeles.
Features: The outdoor area of the villa possesses a large swimming pool and spa along with a well maintained cascading garden. The indoor bar contains an expensive collection of alcoholic drinks and the master bedroom boasts of a stone fireplace. The master bathroom houses a steam shower.
Neighborhood: Phoenix’s immediate neighborhood is home to Hollywood celebrities of the likes of Jennifer Aniston, George Clooney, Demi Moore and Nicholas Cage.
Joaquin Phoenix drives a metallic black Lexus RX350. The actor was photographed on December 2006 cleaning his car with a hosepipe at a Los Angeles gas station. Phoenix was helped in this arduous activity by an unidentified female companion. The $95,000 car possesses a very stylish exterior appearance owing to a combination of a spindle shaped grille and daytime running lights. The interiors possess an extensive leather and wood trim level. The RX350 has been equipped with several hi-tech features like a Mark Levison 15 speaker surround sound system, virtual camera navigation, voice command functions and heads up display.
Joaquin Phoenix loves to take out his metallic yellow colored Ducati Desmosedici on long drives on the highways near Los Angeles. The Ducati’s signature tubular trellis hybrid frame allied with a carbon fiber bod provides a very hip look to the chassis. The bike is powered by a liquid cooled Desmodromic 4 cylinder 989cc engine that delivers 200HP of output at 13,500rpm. The bike has been equipped with hi-tech systems like a lightweight Corse electronic multifunction dashboard with LCD bar graph tachometer and an anti-theft immobilizer.
Joaquin Phoenix featured in the last years ad campaign from PETA, which is all about protecting the animal rights and ensuring their security, and is strict against animal slaughtering for human benefits. He supported PETA's "Say No To Animal Fur and Wool Clothes" campaign. In fact, he has been a passionate supporter of PETA since his early childhood days. He became a strict vegan at the age of 3.
This Non-profit charitable organizing provides help to victims of serious disasters like flood, war, earthquake, etc. Besides providing medical treatment, that too free of cost, Red Cross also takes suitable initiative in protecting the human rights. Joaquin Phoenix volunteered for this NGO to provide a helping hand to the victims of Hurricane Katrina.