- Birthday15th Dec, 55
- Birth PlaceUnited States
- Marital statusMarried
John Alfred Paulson, a legendary American hedge fund manager, shot to fame in 2007 by short-selling subprime mortgages. He made more than $15 billion for his hedge funds by betting on the collapse of the mortgage-backed securities market in 2007 and 2008. Paulson became a billionaire overnight by predicting the real estate collapse in 2007 at a time when most Americans thought that real estate was infallible. He earned a staggering $3.5 billion that year. Paulson followed it with an equally perfectly timed bet that large banks would survive the financial crisis and that the price of gold would scale a new high. Last year, he personally earned what has been estimated as the largest single payday in the history of Wall Street, a mindboggling $4.9 billion. It is a record for the hedge fund industry. Despite making some poor investments this year which saw his flagship company take a tumble, his personal fortune has swelled substantially. The reason behind this stunning development is the fact that Paulson has invested most of his personal fortune in gold and now he’s reaping the rewards. The mega hedge fund manager bought a new mansion in Aspen last year where he lives with his family. The $24.5 million ranch is the most expensive single sale in the Aspen during recent times. At one time, Paulson also owned a 10.44-acre property on Lake Agawam in Southampton in which he invested a staggering $41.3 million. After entering the Billionaires Club, Paulson has made several charitable donations including $15 million to build a children's hospital in Guayaquil, Ecuador which happens to be his father’s birthplace and $4 million to the London School of Economics.
- We've gone through a lot of foreclosures, a lot of short sales and a lot of those people are now turning to renting
- We are not redeeming from John Paulson at this time
- he recent volatility in our portfolio has been caused by macroeconomic events that have negatively affected capital markets, such as the recent Standard & Poor’s downgrade of the United States’ credit rating and sovereign debt issues in Europe
- John Paulson Cuts BofA, Citi Stakes.
- The discrepancy between equity earnings yields and Treasury yields is at an all time high
- Banks are trading at massive discounts ... They will rebound.
- There will be a lot of internal discussion at big and small investors alike about the allocation to John Paulson and whether to redeem it or to keep it
- Wall Street's Record $135 Billion payday, The Village Blacksmith, and Mr John Paulson's Billions
- There are many investors who have experienced great gains with John Paulson, but a lot of the money has come into his funds after those great gains were achieved, and the relative newcomers are seeing a lot of heavy losses
- For gold investors, they will be watching the holdings of John Paulson, who is currently the biggest owner in the SPDR gold trust
Did you know?
- He has a brother and two sisters
- He has two children
- In 2011 for the campaign of John Boehner, Paulson & Co. contributed more then half million dollars
Family & relationships
The sprawling estate covering 8.9 acres has seven bedrooms, eight-and-a-half bath places, access to Lake Aspen and a 35-foot wall of glass offering a superb view of Colorado.
John Paulson bought a super luxury home in the year 2012 valued at about 49 million USD from Saudi Prince Bandar bin Sultan, a former ambassador to the U.S. It’s a gargantuan ski ranch built in 1991 & was once valued at about 135 million USD. It is considered to be one of the most expensive homes ever put up for sale in America and is currently ranked third in the list of the most expensive U.S. homes.
Location: It is located in Aspen, Colorado & is estimated to be the biggest ranch in that area.
Accommodation: The massive 95 acre estate covers a total area of 55000 square foot. The custom built ski ranch has 15 bedrooms along with 27 bathrooms. All the bedrooms have adjoining patios. The architecture of this mansion carries a signature rustic style. Huge wooden beams & stone columns adorn it. It has an internal lift & a centerpiece lodge bigger than that present in the White House.
Features: The house is equipped with several awe inspiring features like heated horse stables, racquetball court, tennis court, sauna, indoor gymnasium, indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi & a beauty parlor. There is little need to go outside the ranch to enjoy the joys of skiing and horse-riding since the estate has its own inbuilt ski trail & equestrian range. Anglers can enjoy fishing in the estate’s fishing pond. A walk around the estate provides a breathtaking view of sculptured gardens & reflection pools. The massive kitchen is capable of dishing up meals for hundreds of people. The mammoth garage is fitted with facilities like car wash, gas pumps & mechanical workshop to effectively service cars. It even has its own sewage treatment facility.
Neighborhood: Paulson has some of the wealthiest people in world like Chelsea owner "Roman Abramovich" and CEO of Dell Computers "Michael Dell" for company in his neighborhood.
John Paulson's Hala Ranch
Spacious living hall
Pool at the backyard
Outdoor sportsThe mega hedge fund manager also takes a keen interest in various sports.
Jenny Paulson with friends
The hedge fund manager announced a donation of $15 million towards the largest children’s maternity hospital complex in Latin America.The hospital in Guayaguil, Ecuador will be named after Paulson’s father, Alfredo Paulson, who was born in the city in 1923.
New York University Stern School of Business
John Paulson donated $20-million to New York University’s Stern School of Business from where he earned his bachelor’s degree in 1978.
Center for Responsible Lending
Paulson donated $15 million to the Center for Responsible Lending.