- Birthday9th Jun, 63
- Birth PlaceUnited States
- Marital statusMarried
Johnny Depp aka Jack Sparrow of Pirates of Carrabin is an American actor who came into limelight in early 80s with a television series 21 Jump Street. Johnny always had his heart set for music and this hobby became passion when his mother gifted him a guitar when he turned 12. He dropped out from school at the age of 16 just to concentrate on his music career but unfortunately couldn’t make it. He got married at the age of 20 to Lori Allison a makeup artist and to make daily needs he has also sold pens over phone. Lori introduced him to actress Nichol Cage and this how his movie career was launched. He got divorced soon and got involved with many celebrity actresses.
Johnny has also tried his hands in production and formed a film production company Infinitum Nihil in 2004 that has many successful movies in credit. Johnny began to date Vanessa Paradis a French actress and singer .The two have a daughter and a son. Johnny also possessed a hobby or we can say rather a craze for collecting fine and exclusive wines. Due to this passion he has gifted vineyard to his girlfriend Vanessa in order to celebrate an album she had just released at the time. The actor owns a 56-foot yacht which is a steam-powered boat called Vajoliroja and stays in a 150 year old mansion in Somerset, England that he bought in 1996 with an investment of $3 million in it. Depp is also one of the most stylish men in the Hollywood and is famous for his tattoos all over his body that signifies important persons or events in his life. Although he could not make a high career in music but his love for music always remained in the corner of his heart.
To fulfill this dream he purchased a club, The Viper Room, in Los Angeles. There are several books written on Depp by different authors to showcase the ups and downs of his life.
- Anything I've done up till 27 May, 1999 was kind of an illusion, existing without living. My daughter, the birth of my daughter, gave me life
- France and the whole of Europe have a great culture and an amazing history. Most important thing, though, is that people there know how to live! In America they've forgotten all about it. I'm afraid that the American culture is a disaster.
- With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be, otherwise it's just not acting. It's lying.
- Am I a romantic? I've seen Wuthering Heights (1939) ten times. I'm a romantic.
- "America is dumb, is something like a dumb puppy that has big teeth — that can bite and hurt you, aggressive."
- All the little films I've done that were perceived by Hollywood as these obscure, weird things, I always thought could appeal to a larger audience. I mean, box office is such a mystery to me that I can't . . . you know . . . I have enough trouble doing my own gig.
- As a teenager I was so insecure. I was the type of guy that never fitted in because he never dared to choose. I was convinced I had absolutely no talent at all. For nothing. And that thought took away all my ambition, too.
- I started smoking at 12, lost my virginity at 13 and did every kind of drug there was by 14. Pretty much any drug you can name, I've done it. I wouldn't say I was bad or malicious, I was just curious. I certainly had my little experiences with drugs.
- I hung around with bad crowds. We used to break and enter places. We'd break into the school and destroy a room or something. I used to steal things from stores.
- I played rock'n'roll clubs in Florida. I was underage, but they would let me come in the back door to play, and then I'd have to leave after the first set. That's how I made a living, at about $25 a night. At times we could make $2,100 - we used to make that for the entire group and the road crew, which is a lot.
- I remember one time this teacher yelled at me so heavily in front of the entire class. He didn't have any time for me then, and now, all of a sudden, he wants my autograph? They all thought I was going to end up a drug addict, in jail.
- These are the most important people in my life. You know, I would die for these people. If someone were to harm my family or a friend or somebody I love - I would eat them. I might end up in jail for 500 years - but I would eat them.
- I can remember my parents fighting and us kids wondering who was going to go with whom if they got divorced.
- When I see someone who just follows their dream and succeeds, and just does basically what they want to do and doesn't have to answer to anyone, obviously not harming anyone, that's great.
- Kids write to me and say they are having these problems or they want to commit suicide or something. It's scary. I have to say, Listen, I'm just an actor, not a professional psychologist. If you need help, you should go and get it.
- We moved like gypsies. From the time I was five until my teens we lived in 30 or 40 different houses. That probably has a lot to do with my transient life now. But it's how I was raised so I thought there was nothing abnormal about it. Wherever the family is, that's home. We lived in apartments, on a farm, in a motel. Then we rented a house, and one night we moved from there to the house next door. I remember carrying my clothes across the yard and thinking, This is weird, but it's an easy move.
Did you know?
- Was the guitarist in a band called The Kids.
- Johnny has two silver teeth
- Johnny commercially promotes 'Trojan Condoms'. The slogan for the campaign is "Stand up with Johnny for safer sex."
- His favorite pastimes is watching cartoons with his children.
- Appears in Tom Petty's 1991 music video "Into the Great Wide Open."
- His first band was in honor of his girlfriend, Meredith.
- Depp married Lori Anne Allison in 1983
- Johnny has a bug collection, a fake mustache collection, and a gun collection.
- Once painted on a billboard featuring his '21 Jump Street' character because he didn't like his picture or the message the billboard gave. He was stopped by a security guard who actually let him finish what he was doing when he realized it was Johnny's own face.
- Johnny turned to alcohol to cope with his fame in the 1990s. To this day, Johnny highly dislikes the attention and doesn't understand why people are fans of his strange work.
- He is the co-owner of the Parisian restaurant-bar Man Ray, located near the Champs-Elysees.
- Whenever he gets ample time, Johnny Depp prefers watching cartoon. He feels relaxed by watching it.
Family & relationships
Somerset mansion"Depp and his partner Vanessa Paradis own a classic mansion that is 150 year old in Somerset, England. The house is set amid Quantock Hills. The house is currently under renovation and the total cost of renovation was around $5,000,000. It is said that once the 150 years old mansion will be completed, it will be no less than a luxurious manor. "
West Hollywood mansion
Johnny Depp owns a home in the west hollywood, CA. He bought this house in the year 1996, and made an investment of $3M in it.
West Hollywood mansion
Bird eye view
Johnny Depp and wife Vanessa Paradi bought this beautiful villa in 1998 for $2 million. He bought this house as a vacation home for his kids.
Location: The house is located in Plan de la Tour small village, that is perhaps best known for Johnny's vacation village. The village is situated in the southeastern France and has a population of only 2000 people.
Accommodation: On 15 hectares of land lies a beautiful and large villa of Johnny. The house sits amid lush green gardens and a large swimming pool. The interior of the house is rather simple yet elegant.
Update: The Depp's Vajoliroja yacht is available for rent and costs around $130,000 per week in the high season and approximately $110,000 in the low season.
It seems that Johnny Depp has taken his Captain Jack Sparrow role, the inimitable commander of the mythical Black Pearl in his blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean series too seriously. His private 156 foot yacht makes us believe the same. This mega yacht does not have the same looks as the other modern yachts, which are adorned with the mega badge, but it has got a vintage, early 20th century classic look and features old-style class and elegance, that are inconspicuously missing in other yachts.
A boat lover’s dream vessel, the Vajoliroja got its quite unpronounceable name by conjoining the first two letters of his four family members, Vanessa, Johnny, Lily Rose, and seven-year-old Jack. This steam-powered yacht was built in 2001 and consists of a formal dining room, a master suite, and four guest cabins. Although he hired the famous L.M Pagano for designing interiors, but a look at the inside and it’s clear that Johnny boy himself has got an interior designer’s eye. Every object has got the actor’s touch. Maroon is the dominant color inside the yacht, with plenty of it splashed on the chairs, beds and other places. An avid book reader, Johnny has got a bulging book shelf inside the yacht with modern classics stacked inside it in rows. The yacht cruises calmly at a 12 knot speed, using the power generated by its twin CATs.
And like many other yachts, when Johnny is not living away a sailor’s life, you can have the queen of luxuries at your disposal, as long as you have the bounty to splurge on it.
Deck dining area
Master dining hall
Little Halls Pond Cay
Johnny Depp, like his mentor and “The Godfather” of Hollywood, Marlon Brando owns a 45-acre tropical paradise called Little Hall’s Pond Cay that he bought in 2004. The bohemian actor did not think twice before dishing out $3.6 million to buy himself this idyllic stretch of sand which is by all means, his favorite holiday destinations and his foremost priority whenever he wish to spend a leisure time with his loved ones. This is what he had to say about the tropical piece of land, “Whenever I was getting frustrated about being ‘novelty boy’ and making movies, I told myself, Calm down. I can come down here and disappear. I spent the Christmas season here with Vanessa and the kids”.
Location: The island is located in Exuma Land and Sea Park, which is the world’s first protected reserve with natural coral reefs.
Features: The private refuge of Johnny Depp has got six private beaches, with each beach named after a person. One is named Paradis after Depp’s partner Vanessa and the others are also named after his children, Lily Rose and Jack, as well his mentors and good friends Marlon Brando and Hunter S. Thompson. Each of these six beaches- Paradis, Gonzo, Brando, Lily Rose, Jack, and Utility has a distinctive personality and traits. The entire island is solar powered, although it does have standby generators for emergencies. Johnny reportedly bought the place to save him and his family from the prying eyes of paparazzi and also once invited Lindsay Lohan to spend some time aboard the island during her rehabilitation.
Johnny Depp loves playing to the tunes of guitar, and has acquired enough guitar skills to give complex to some of the greatest guitar players in the planet. Depp was recently invited by eminent rock legend “Alice Copper” to team up with him for an on stage performance, and the “Pirates of the Caribbean” star rocked the show with his brilliant guitar tunes. The Hollywood megastar also joined rock idol “Marilyn Manson” during his stage gig at the Revolver magazine's “Golden Gods Awards” held at Club Nokia in Los Angeles, playing excellent tunes which the crowd enjoyed tremendously. An awesome guitar player, Depp has played slide guitar on the Oasis song "Fade In-Out" and has also played acoustic guitar in the movie Chocolat and on the soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
Gig with Marilyn Manson
WinemakingDepp is well known for his fondness of French wines. Some of his most favorites are the Bordeaux wines Chateau Calon-Segur, Chateau Cheval Blanc and Chateau Petrus, and the Burgundy wine Domaine de la Romanee-Conti.
Johnny Depp drives a chrome red colored 1959 Corvette roadster. The actor received the vintage Corvette as a gift from Graham King, the producer of the 2011 movie, “The Rum Diary” as a mark of appreciation for his superlative performance in the film. The car has featured in quite a few memorable scenes in the movie shot on the exotic island of Puerto Rico. Depp greatly appreciated King’s grand gesture and has confessed to being completely blown over by the car’s beauty. The actor has been photographed quite a few times taking out his open top sports car on long drives near his Los Angeles home.
Johnny Depp fell in love with the laid-back lifestyle of Bahamas, while he was filmimg for Pirates of Caribbean. This superstar then began his search for an island, and in year 2004, he found this beautiful island named Exumas. Surrounded by clear blue water; the majestic 35 acre Little Halls Pond Cay in the Bahamas, features a diverse range of flora and fauna, and Johnny Depp uses it as the perfect getaway. It is his favorite holiday destination and his foremost priority, whenever he wishes to spend a leisure time with his loved ones. He has been seen there with his songbird wife Vanessa Paradise and their two children. Exumas is undoubtedly a perfect solution to escape from the prying eyes of paparazzi.
Location: The beautiful island is located in Bahamas, in the Atlantic Ocean.
Features: Johnny Depp made news by publicizing that Exumas will be exclusively run on eco-friendly solar power. The beauty of this splendid island lies in discovering something exciting at every turn. It offer a marvelous combination of historic charm and ecological wonders in the form of beautiful secluded beaches with fine sand, underwater limestone cave systems, and rare to find flowers. As Johnny Depp says, “I don’t think I’d ever seen any place so pure and beautiful. You can feel the pulse rate drop about 20 beats. It’s instant freedom.”
Johnny Depp on vacations
With west-facing view offering fiery Caribbean sunsets, GoldenEye is an iconic hotel that provides the contemporary Jamaican luxury in a style. Named after a World War II covert operation, this property is widely known as the inspiration to Ian Fleming for creating the James Bond 007. In the recent times, star Hollywood celebrities like Johnny Depp, Jim Carrey, Harrison Ford, Kate Moss and several other distinguished personalities likes to spend their leisure time in this private island. Speaking of the Golden Eye, it’s a hotel sitting on 52-acre of land and incorporates extensive tropical gardens, secluded beaches, plush surroundings, a pristine set of coasts and the calm waters of a natural lagoon.
Location: It is located in the village of Oracabessa on the Jamaica’s north coast.
Accommodation: GoldenEye offers 9 bright and airy beach cottages that have been fully refurbished to meet the demands of the discerning celebrities. Designed in a contemporary Caribbean style, each of the cottages has one or two revitalized bedrooms, along with ample living space, king size bed and a fully equipped modern kitchen. In addition, two secluded Lagoon suites are perfect for those vacationers who love waterside living. The original Fleming villa in the hotel offers three bedroom house, private swimming pool, and two bedroom cottages along with direct access to a private Fleming beach.
Main attraction: GoldenEye offers fresh, home-cooked food in variety of restaurants. Further, the lagoon-side spas offer a range of relaxing and uplifting body and beauty therapies using local flowers and herbs. GoldenEye also offers a lot of activities including snorkeling, horseback riding, deep-sea fishing, jet-skiing and scuba diving to name a few.
Calm waters of a natural lagoon
Actors Fund of America"Johnny Depp is a supporter of The Actors Fund of America, which is a nationwide human services organization that helps all professionals in performing arts and entertainment. The Fund is acting as a safety net, providing programs and services for those who are in need, crisis or transition. "
Children's Hospice & Palliative Care Coalition"He is a supporter of this foundation which works with an objective of reminding people that children are not little adults and when they are seriously ill, their medical and emotional needs are unique and must be honored within the medical system. It basically operates to promote policies and all inclusive care programs that meet the complex medical, emotional, social, and practical needs of families who are experiencing great loss.It does the work of providing training and support to hospice teams across the state so that when they are caring for a dying child they are able to meet the medical, emotional and spiritual needs of the child and the family. "
Environmental Justice Foundation"Environmental Justice Foundation leads an international campaign “Pick Your Cotton Carefully” to address the environmental and human rights abuses associated with cotton production, primarily to end the use of forced child labour and deadly pesticides in cotton production.The basic objective of this foundation is to raise awareness of these issues to protect people and the planet. "
Great Ormond Street Hospital
Johnny Depp is a supporter of the Great Ormond Street Hospital charity. It is working for the welfare of the children who are suffering from the rarest, most complex and often life-threatening conditions. They assure the best medical care that money can buy, but the government funding cannot meet.
Hats CollectionJohnny Depp has a huge collection of hats, which takes up two rooms in his French home to store them. He truly loves his hats.
Collection of GunsHe loves to collect guns. He even posses the fondest memories of his first machine gun.
The American actor Johnny Depp has an intimate connection with books, that’s the main reason why he is an enthusiastic book collector and often stars in movies having sturdy link to literature. Till date, Depp has appeared in a number of writer roles in movies like “The Rum Diary”, “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” and “Secret Window”. A generous hearted person, Depp reportedly gifted an invaluable poetry book from his extraordinary compilation to the director Bruce Robinson, as a token for his movie “The Rum Diary”.
Predominantly comprised of first edition books, the actor’s invaluable collection comprises eminent works of the Beat Poets. A huge aficionado of author Jack Kerouac, Depp owns a serious collection of rare books, letters and manuscripts by the author. The actor even travelled to Kerouac’s home in Lowell, Massachusetts to know him better, where he met John Sampas, Kerouac's brother-in-law, who took Depp to some of Kerouac’s local haunts. Apart from Kerouac’s works, John’s book compilation includes several works from French poet “Arthur Rimbaud”, Welsh poet “Dylan Thomas” and American author “Edgar Allen Poe”.