- Birthday14th May, 84
- Birth PlaceUnited States
- Marital statusSingle
Mark Zuckerberg, the man of the hour and Time person of the year, 2010, is the founder and CEO of Facebook. His creation is on road to become one of the most valuable tech companies of the world as Facebook debuts at the Nasdaq stock exchange on 18th May, 2012. At $38 per share, the Facebook has a market capitalization of $104 billion, making it not only one of the biggest in Silicon Valley, but one of the biggest in the world. Mark's 443 million shares are worth $16.9 billion at $38 a share.
In the filed listing it was revealed that Facebook's revenue was an astounding $3.7 billion while it generated $1 billion in profit. Mark himself earned a handsome base salary of $500, 000 amounting to an annual $1.7 million pay package. Owning 28 % share of Facebook, he will be worth 28 billion USD once the company becomes public and will be standing at front in the queue of richest persons on the planet.
Born on May 14, 1984 to Edward Zuckerberg and Karen Zuckerberg, Mark was a child prodigy, programming and creating games at the age, when one is usually playing them. He repeatedly asserted his extraordinary potential as a computer programmer through different inventions. In his early teens he created a music player named Synapse as a school project using some help from a friend, which used artificial intelligence to understand one’s taste in music and created a playlist accordingly. Software bigwigs like Microsoft and AOL tried to buy it and even recruit Mark. But he refused both. Instead he went to Harvard in 2002. On Feb 4, 2004, with the help of his roommates, Dutsin Moskovitz and Chris Hughes and using the finance provided by another friend Eduardo Saverin, he launched what was called then, The Facebook. It was an instant hit, and soon made Mark the next big thing.
In 2007, he was named as the world’s youngest billionaire and continues to dominate the internet space like no one else. His site, which has ubiquitous presence all across the globe, has now over 850 million members, which in terms of population can be termed as the third largest entity after China and India. A man of radical notions and tremendous genius, Mark wants the world to be a more open place, where every person is connected to other, sharing their personnel lives and dreams that his invention, Facebook would be successful in doing that.
- The web is at a really important turning point right now. Up until recently, the default on the web has been that most things aren’t social and most things don’t use your real identity. We’re building toward a web where the default is social.
- By giving people the power to share, we're making the world more transparent.
- "When you give everyone a voice and give people power, the system usually ends up in a really good place. So, what we view our role as, is giving people that power."
- There's lots of stuff none of us have ever seen before. That's good in some ways, but limiting in other ways.”
Did you know?
- According to Mark at the house Facebook rented during the summer of 2004, "there was a fair amount of pot smoking, though Zuckerberg frowned on it and didn't partake."
- During Facebook's first summer, Zuckerberg and his family spent $85,000 keeping the company afloat
- The day after the Accel investment, Mark Zuckerberg was at a gas station when a crazy guy with a gun came at him. Zuck jumped in his SUV and drove away
- Steve Chen worked at Facebook for a few weeks before quitting to do his own startup. It was called YouTube
- Mark Zuckerberg didn't want to add photo-sharing to Facebook, but Sean Parker convinced him to. Facebook is now the most popular photo-sharing site.
- Zuckerberg has found all his homes through a popular classified service in America; Craiglist.
- His first place was a sparse one-bedroom apartment that a friend described as something like a “crack den.” The next apartment was a two-bedroom, followed by his current place, a two-story, four-bedroom house that he said is “too big.”
- Wondering why all facebook is painted blue. It’s because mark is red-green colour blind and blue is the richest color for him.
- Mark obtained restraining order against one Pradeep Manukonda, who he claimed was stalking him, even trying to contact him through emails. According to Mark, he was fearful of his and his sister’s and girlfriend’s safety.
- The West Wing is one of the favorite TV series of Mark. Incidentally the screenplay of this series has been written by none other than Aaron Sorkin who has also written the screenplay of The Social Network.
- The Social Network is a movie that was made based on the book, The Accidental Billionaires, by Ben Mezrich. Mark criticized the movie as it presented him as an unsmiling, insecure and sexed-up young man. Mezrich based his book heavily on his interviews with Eduardo Saverin, who was the initial business manager of Facebook. But they both had a falling out and Saverin shares were diluted to 0.3 % from 30%. Saverin later sued Zuckerberg and they eventually reached a non disclosure agreement for an undisclosed amount of money and share in Facebook.
- Since its inception, Facebook and more appropriately Mark has been surrounded by various controversies and lawsuits. According to reports Mark was approached by three Harvard seniors, the Winklevoss twins and Divya Narendra to work on their project HarvardConnect, which was later launched as ConnectU. However, Mark soon abandoned their project and launched his own site which was called The Facebook then. According to Winklevoss twins, Mark misled them on the development of their site, keeping them blind while using their idea to develop his own site. “He stole the moment, he stole the idea, and he stole the execution” that’s what Cameron Winklevoss said to the Newyorker reporter. Eventually they reached a settlement of US $65 million. But the dispute is still on.
Family & relationships
Palo Alto house
World’s youngest billionaire Mark Zuckerberg owns a house in Palo Alto which is his first property investment. Prior to this he has always stayed in rented apartment. The house is just a 10-minute drive from what will soon be Facebook's new headquarters in Menlo Park. He lives in this house with his college sweetheart Priscilla Chan. The young billionaire has long been a fan of renting and of relatively modest digs.
Location: The house is located in one of the posh locality of California, Palo Alto which is situated in the northwest corner of Santa Clara County.
Accommodation: The house sits in the area of 5,1617-square-foot, was originally built in 1903. Since the house is of historic times it boasts gorgeous historical elements, like sash windows, coffered ceilings, French doors, and deep porches. The house has total of 5-bedroom, 5.5-bath and purchased for $ 7 million. Although the house is grand but still is modest compared to his other Silicon Valley contemporaries. In addition, this two storied house also has a saltwater pool, a music alcove, spacious porch and a large kitchen with adjoining breakfast area. The master bedroom suite has a spa-inspired Carrara marble bath with heated floors, which add some elegance to otherwise this simple, if not frugal piece of property.
Neighborhood: Except this young billionaire Steve Young also owns a house in Palo Alto.
The outdoor fireplace
Mark Zuckerberg mansion
Mark at his place
Recent SEC filing about Facebook's finances have revealed that the Facebook's founder spent around $700,000 for costs related to private jets. The listing states that "Facebook has authorized its CEO and COO to use private aircraft for business purposes. This practice maximizes such executives’ productive time and ensures their quick availability. In addition, Mr. Zuckerberg may use private aircraft for personal purposes in connection with his comprehensive security program. On certain occasions, Mr. Zuckerberg may be accompanied by family members or others when using private aircraft. For flights involving passengers flying for personal purposes, the aggregate incremental cost of such personal usage is reported as other compensation to Mr. Zuckerberg. "
Another $90,850 of that amount was for “costs related to estate and financial planning.”
Mark drives an Acura TSX, which is an entry level luxury sedan. It uses a 2.4 litre in-line 4 cylinder engine which can churn out 201 hp and 172 lb-ft torque. It has a 5 -speed automatic transmission, which comes with steering-wheel paddle shifters for optional manual shifting. The car is quite packed with luxury features like leather interior, automatic climate control, a seven-speaker sound system, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth and HandsFreeLink. The car is priced at around 30, 000$
Seven speaker sound system
The Facebook CEO recently got married to his long time college sweetheart Priscilla Chan on May 19, 2012, in an astonishing ceremony at his home in Palo Alto, California. The propitious wedding was kept behind the curtains in such a way that even the guests were unaware about such a ceremony to happen, as they were expecting celebration for Priscilla Chan’s graduation from the University of California.
Chan looked a complete angel wearing her elegant sleeveless white gown featuring an illusion lace neckline and a transparent white veil while Mark made a striking presence in his wedding sporting a slender dark blue suit and tie, and a pure white shirt. The wedding ring was a simple Ruby sparkler designed by Zuckerberg for her adorable sweetheart.
The auspicious wedding was attended by around 100 close guests of the couple and featured delicious Mexican food along with a remarkable presentation by Green Day’s “Billie Joe Armstrong” for entertainment. Zuckerberg announced the nuptial on his social networking site “Facebook”, via a status update, posting his wedding picture which was liked by more than 280,000 people. Just a day before the celebrated wedding, Facebook’s fortune rose to £12billion in the stock market.
Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan
The billionaire Facebook founder was spotted having a good time in Vietnam with his Chinese-American wife Priscilla Chan and some friends. Vietnam is a communist country where Zuckerberg’s social networking site is blocked, but this doesn’t mean they won’t welcome the Facebook CEO. Mark visited the place in December 2011 and spent the Christmas Eve in the tourist hot spot Ha Long Bay and later on Christmas Day at a lodge in the town Sapa. Mark spent almost $6,000 on travelling by a private helicopter, exploring the gorgeous place with Chan, and was even seen enjoying a slow ride on a horned beast in Sapa.
Location: Vietnam is the world’s 13th most heavily populated country on the Indochina Peninsula in Southeast Asia.
Accommodation: Vietnam offers plenty of choices for the visitors to have a comfortable stay in the country. A number of gorgeous hotels and resorts welcome the visitors with their authentic warmth and sincere hospitality. The world class accommodation facilities make the stay a pleasant and enjoyable one for the guests.
Main Attraction: The world-renowned vacation destination attracts the visitors with its diverse beauty and charm and has something for everyone. The visitors can get extreme delight exploring the country's marvelous beaches, tropical forests, mountains, gorgeous lakes and waterfalls and beautiful sunsets.
Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan Honeymoon
There is more to life than just Facebook! Well, It seems Mark Zuckerberg has finally understood this. He took some time away from The Social Network headquarters to celebrate his marriage with his wife, Priscilla Chan. The newlyweds tied the knot in a surprise and simple ceremony in California on May 20.
Just like their wedding, the honeymoon promises to be a low key one. They have sneaked into Italy for their honeymoon where they will be dining out, visit the tourist attractions and steal romantic moments. The honeymoon seems surprisingly low key for a newly wed billionaire couple who has just earned hard cash as much as worth $17 billlion! They have already visited the famous sites of the country including the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. On 28th they were photographed whilst on a guided tour of the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. They have been dining out in many restaurants including a Kosher restaurant in the Jewish Ghetto in Rome. After dinner they usually take a walk holding each other's hands. If you are thinking that the couple is not splurging at all, then you are wrong. They came to Italy by a private jet and are staying in a 5-star hotel called Portrait Suites where the room charges starts from $1000/night.
On 29th of May the media splashed pictures of the couple enjoying the sea. They were aboard a Pershing Yacht and touring the Amalfi Coast in Italy. It seems that their honeymoon is going the right way.
Cruising around Italy on a yacht
The beautiful couple enjoying the dinner
Like it! Share it!
Yacht ride on honeymoon
Romantic walk on the streets of Italy
Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan Honeymoon
Billionaire chairman and CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg is very simple and humble when it comes to holidays and vacations. He spent the Christmas of 2012 enjoying the pleasures of sea surfing along with his wife, Priscilla Chan at the Hawaiian Islands. Both of them are excellent surfers and Hawaii was the perfect vacation spot for the winter. They spent the remaining time tanning, tweeting and using the new Facebook 'Poke' which sends fleeting messages.
Location: Hawaii is located as the northernmost island group of Polynesia in central Pacific Ocean.
Accommodation: There is no dearth of accommodation on the Hawaiian islands. Cheaper options are possible by choosing hotels on the islands of Maui, O'ahu or Moloka'i.
Main Attractions: The sun-kissed beaches, winding hiking trails, photogenic landscapes and lush greenery surrounding the blue coves of water that one will find in plenty at Hawaii are a strong attractant for any visitor.
The best thing to do for the first timer would be to go on an excursion to the different islands, hopping and dipping into the joys that they offer. Surfing, swimming, diving, sunbathing and relaxing on the beach are the most popular options.
You could also go dolphin/whale watching as you keep an eye around for the host of celebrities that descend to this tourist hotspot. Those with a love for history should take time to visit the Pearl Harbor and the nearby museum there. Volcanoes abound on these islands and volcano-watching is a good pastime. There are options for world-class golf too.
Vacation in Hawaii
On the beach
Getting ready for bath
Startup: The Education Foundation
Following in footsteps of many Silicon Valley billionaires, Zuckerberg believes in donating his wealth for noble causes. He has founded the Start-up: Education foundation. On the Oprah show one night, Zuckerberg announced that he would be donating $100 million to Newark Public Schools, the public school system of Newark, New Jersey. He wanted to do this anonymously, however, Newark Mayor Cory A. Booker along with New Jersey Governor Chris Christie convinced Zuckerberg not to make the donation anonymously.
The Giving Pledge
The Giving Pledge is an initiative on behalf of Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to make the world’s billionaires to promise to donate half or more of their wealth to charity, either while they are alive or after their death. On December 9, 2010, Zuckerberg, also signed the pledge along with Bill Gates and Mr. Buffet.
$500 million for Silicon Valley Foundation Charity
Facebook CEO Mark Zukerberg has donated funds to the Silicon Valley Charity with the intention to focus in areas like education and health issues. Mark’s 18 million shares in Facebook worth around $500 million were received by the non-profit organization in addition to the money donated by Zukerberg’s wife Priscilla Chan. The gift is reportedly the largest single philanthropic donation to educational causes from Mark till date. The NGO, which is dedicated to offering solutions to life changing problems, has received close to $2.5 billion of funds in five years and has won several recognitions and awards for its charitable acts.
Mark Zuckerberg and Beast
The third member of the family
New puppy, Beast
Mark Zuckerberg hoodie
The world’s youngest billionaire prefers wearing a Signature hoodie for casual as well as formal events. Mark was recently spotted sporting a black tone Signature hoodie to attend one of his investors meeting. Zuckerberg’s sweat shirt outfit for an important business meet might have been a mark of immaturity as per his business clients, but it was a true mark of style for the Facebook CEO, who looked extremely dashing in his chic attire. The Facebook CEO’s favorite hoodie bears his company’s social mission printed on the inner side, which says “to make the world more open and connected”, which might be the reason why he adores wearing them.