- Birthday23rd Feb, 65
- Birth PlaceUnited States
- Marital statusMarried
A young boy who started building computers and selling them directly to people is now the world’s 4th richest man and the founder of Dell Computer. Michael Saul Dell has created one of the most profitable computer companies in the world with annual sales of up to $50 billion. Michael has published his partly autobiographical book "Direct From Dell: Strategies That Revolutionized an Industry". The book explains how the company that started with just $1000 turned into a mega-corporation worth more than $100 billion. Dell resides in the most expensive ever built in the state; it sits on 33,000 sq ft of hilltop outside Austin.
He got married to Susan Dell who is also a co-founder and Chairman of the Board of the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation. Susan also owns a fashion label Phi. Dell has some of the most amazing cars in his garage like 2004 Porsche Boxster, Hummer H2 and Porsche Carrera GT. Since, Dell is the most powerful man in Texas he has rich friends like former US President George Bush. Michael Dell has a very intresting hobby as he raise Arabian horses from the Bask lineage at his 6 D Ranch in Ausitn Texas, off Bee Caves Rd.
- As important as school was, I found that it could be very disruptive to a steady income.
- From the time I was 7, when I purchased my first calculator, I was fascinated by the idea of a machine that could compute things.
- I realised that the computer market was very inefficient. The markups were incredibly high over the cost of materials and the service was very poor.
- “Our business is about technology, yes. But it's also about operations and customer relationships.”
- “It's through curiosity and looking at opportunities in new ways that we've always mapped our path at Dell. There's always an opportunity to make a difference.”
- “People consume information better with their eyes,”
- “Customers are voting with their dollars and not their feet today,”
- “The old industry approach was proprietary technology and vertical service solutions, ... Customers now universally reject these notions.”
- “The idea of being all things to all people is a thing of the past,”
- Whether you’ve found your calling, or if you’re still searching, passion should be the fire that drives your life’s work.
- The key is to listen to your heart and let it carry you in the direction of your dreams. I’ve learned that it’s possible to set your sights high and achieve your dreams and do it with integrity, character, and love. And each day that you’re moving toward your dreams without compromising who you are; you’re winning.
- I dropped out of college because that's what I thought would happen. So, that for me was in 1984 and I started a company around that idea, believing that more and more people would know how to use PCs; that they would become easier to use, that even people could buy them without going to a store. We had a sense for it in the early '80s but certainly couldn't say we imagined it. It is just the way it happened.
- Don’t spend so much time trying to choose the perfect opportunity, that you miss the right opportunity.
- Well, we started the company by building to the customer's order. And interestingly enough, we didn't do it because we saw some massive paradigm in the future. Basically, we just didn't have any capital to mass-produce.
- “Nice guys finish last.”
Did you know?
- Reading and Answering his daily emails alone takes Dell about two hours a day.
- Dell's father is an orthodontist and wanted Dell to be a doctor during his budding years.
- Michael Dell's middle name is Saul, a very less known fact.
- To see how a computer works, Dell opened up his first computer , Apple - II at the age of 15. He wasn't even sure that he will ever be able to assemble it back.
- Dell himself try all the products his company produces.
- Dell has been honored for his visionary leadership on Time/CNN's list of the "25 Most Influential People," "Chief Executive of the Year" by Inc. magazine and "Man of the Year" by PC magazine.
- As for Michael Dell, he holds the notable distinction of being the computer industry's longest-tenured chief executive officer at a very young age of 46.
- Michael Dell is known for his support to Republicans, in 2003 he became active campaigner and supporter of President Bush second tern Election.
- In 2004, Susan and Michael Dell were among 53 contributors of $250,000 (the maximum legal donation) to the second inauguration of President George W. Bush.
- His house is nicknamed "The Castle" because its a 85 acre 33,000- square-foot granite and stainless-steel mansion with one of the highest security and maintenance costs .
- Susan Dell's personal fashion label, Phi, made the Jenna and Barbara Bush's inaugural gowns after 2001 presidential elections.
- President Bush appointed Michael Dell to his President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology in 2001.
Family & relationships
Michael Dell's house or more appropriately, “The Castle” sits atop 33,000 ft of hilltop on the outskirts of Austin. Built in 1997, the estate is apparently the most expensive ever built in the state and boasts of eight bedrooms, a conference room, indoor and outdoor pools, and a stunning view over Lake Austin. It got it’s queer name from its high walls and elaborate security arrangements.
Anguilla beach home
World’s 4th richest man and the founder of Dell Computer own a lavish neo classical style beach mansion in Caribbean island of Anguilla. He built this villa in 2001 and often uses this for as his holiday home.
Location: Anguilla is a British overseas territory and overseas territory of the European Union in the Caribbean. The place is known for number of much smaller islands and cays with no permanent population.
Neighborhood: Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston once stayed in this place.
Michael Dell has a magnificent Raptor Residence in Hawaii, which has 7 bedrooms and 7 full and 5 half bathrooms. Spread on 18,500 square foot interior space, Dell uses this luxurious oceanfront estate as his private getaway.
The Hawaii County assesses the home at $28.5 million, but the majority of the valuation of this property comes from the land on which it is built.
The Raptor Residence
This 6,380 square foot residence is sited on a large meadow on Lake Austin in Austin, Texas. The strategy was to design a modern reinterpretation of a Texas lake house “bungalow” for a family with four children. The program accommodates a living/dining/kitchen ground floor loft space opening to an outdoor terrace, facing and accessing the lake, as well as an adjacent, connected spa/exercise space.
The owner of Dell also owns a luxurious Gulfstream 500 apart from net worth of $14.6 billion. The Gulfstream V was the first contender in the ultra-long-range private jet category. This extremely luxurious jet is capable of flying anywhere in the world: nonstop flights. The jet’s cabin usually seats 15 passengers, but can be configured to hold more and can be customized according to the customer’s specifications. Fly on the power of two BMW/Rolls-Royce BR710-48 engines it is one of the most comfortable privet jets in world.
The standard cabin
The satellite TV
His hobby became his business when in college he felt he can make more money pursuing his hobby compared to being a doctor. Today he is one of top computer seller in world.
He raise Arabian horses from the Bask lineage at his 6 D Ranch in Ausitn Texas, off Bee Caves Rd.
2004 Porsche Boxster
Michael Dell owns a 2004 Porsche Boxster which is a better sports car than its counterparts. Boxster is a classic car as its inspiration clearly comes from those legendary 550 Spyders of decades ago. Porsche is one of the few surviving manufacturers to have built its reputation entirely in sports and racing cars and this one too has an ultimate handling with pure performance.
Leather upholstered interiors
Porsche Carrera GT
Michael Dell, a man with great taste for cars owns the exotic Carrera GT, the finest car ever produced by Porsche. Riding this incredible $400,000 is a pure joy: its glorious thrust from the V-10 engine accelerates the car from zero to 60 in just 3.5 seconds. Carrera GT is a pure Porsche: it’s terrifically durable as it comes with state of the art technology. Its’ predictably plush leather wrapped interiors, open roof facility, Bose audio system, navigation system and the telescopic sport steering, all defines the luxe side of Carrera GT. This car also owns a place in the hearts of riches like Jay Leno, Tiger Woods and Ralph Lauren.
Super sports car
Michael Dell enjoys the comfort and security of Hummer H2, a vehicle that offers the combined convenience of a sport utility vehicle and a truck. H2 also allows making a 4x6 foot pickup truck bed when you’re hauling the cargo. This powerful luxury foul wheel drive comes equipped with all luxe features including heated seat cushions, perforated leather on the instrument panel, navigation radio and XM Satellite Radio.
While husband Michael is busy running Dell, Susan is busy running. And swimming. And cycling. The elite-level athlete competed in the 2003 Ironman endurance competition. Dell is also chairman of Phi, a fashion label that has had runway shows in New York and has been featured in Vogue. She chairs the Dell philanthropic foundation.
Michael with his partner
AnguillaAnguilla is known for its beautiful beaches and pristine blue water.
Michael and Susan Dell Foundation
The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation was set up in 1999. Susan and Michael Dell have supported the foundation primarily through investing the proceeds of sales of shares of Dell Inc. More than (USA) $650 million has been given to children's charities and other worthy causes in the United States, India, South Africa and elsewhere as of 2010
The oyster perpetual Rolex Yacht-Master, is the ultimate choice of the rich tech geek Michael Dell. The Rolex Yacht-Master is an ultimate reference chosen by professionals who sail the world, and in Michaels’s personal opinion, it is a highly modernized Submariner.