- Birthday3rd May, 65
- Birth PlaceRussia
- Marital statusSingle
Mikhail Prokhorov is 32nd richest person on earth according to Forbes and is also known as "Most handsome Billionaire", "Most eligible bachelor in world", "Face of new Russia". As a 6ft 8in tall elegant man who also happens to be second most rich Russian he is certainly one of the most desired men, but he is still a bachelor and said once, he hasn't found a woman who can cook well enough to marry. He is a self made billionaire who created his fortunes during troubled early 90's Russia, given his business acumen as even in his first business of stone wash jeans he made $ 14 on per $ 1 invested, which may be one of highest profit making ratio in a non monopolized industry. Unlike his fellow oligarchs he is one of most academically sound and politically correct businessman, thanks to his family environment and scholarly parents.
He is a man who was known for his austerity till 2005 and for his lifestyle since then. He now owns a beautiful island in Seychelles, Indian ocean and two corporate jets . He also owns two luxury Yachts and doesn't even keep their track as he iconically said once, “If you know how rich you are, you are not a billionaire.” He is a sports fan and owns several sporting ventures. He owns CSKA Moscow basketball team and since his takeover team has done wonders in all the championships, winning the European championships twice while reaching the final four in each of the last seven seasons. He also owns a part in CSKA Moscow hockey and football clubs, and is a member of the Supreme Council of the Sport Russia organisation.
His most defining sports moment was perhaps the purchase of NBA team New Jersey Nets, which made him the first owner of an American NBA Club. Despite his success, he had his share of controversies as well when he was detained for charges of pimping at a new year party hosted for his friends in his chalet in French Alps. He was acquitted 4 days later though. He has since been in news for his controversy regarding lost deposit over Villa Leopold in France. But other than those, Mikhail Prokhorov has achieved so much in this young age which can make anyone envious. He knows how to spend his money and live with style despite not being a desperate spendthrift like few of his fellow oligarchs. Regarding his fitness he once said, "On weekends I train for 4-5 hours. On holidays for 4-6 hours, this is my routine daily training." which reflects his hard work and his dedication for fitness and also partly explains apart from his height why he is the only billionaire who can Slam Dunk a Basketball like "Michael Jordan". He has plans to make it big in Russian Politics now, and is likely to contest the next general election most likely for the post of Prime Minister
- “If you know how rich you are, you are not a billionaire.”
- "I've never lost my cool. Even in love affairs. If you have Plan B and Plan C, you are all the time relaxed."
- "The way is very simple, the way to success. We're going to turn Knicks fan into Nets fan. That's it."
- "Frankly speaking, I like women. In my heart, I am still teenager. And I am very open and I don't want to hide this."
- "In terms of celebrity, we've already killed the Lakers. We have Kim Kardashian, Maria Sharapova, Beyonce, Jay-Z."
- "I am instructing our team to walk away from the deal and the meeting that was supposed to be held by our management, tomorrow in Denver with Carmelo, is hereby cancelled."
- "You could have all the money in the world, but you have to be smart enough knowing how to spend it. I really try to be on that smart money side. Once you make a serious mistake you can suffer five or six years, and I do my best to avoid serious mistakes."
- "I don't use a computer. We have too much information and it's really impossible to filter it."
- "There is only one way to go: up. I like to find cheap assets with problems. It gives me power."
- "I am addicted to sport. Without sport, I feel bad."
- "I think women make the same mistake with me all the time. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach."
- "My love affairs are just between my office and gym."
- I have three joys in my life: work, sport and food. All these come in one and do not make a hobby.”
- "“We are absolutely different in everything. We have a funny joke. If you put 10 girls of different appearances in front of us, we will choose five absolutely different girls. No overlap.”
- “I work 12 to 14 hours a day, and in the spare time I do sport,”
- "I never count my money. I think that's your job,"
- "Money is not the thing that drives me. I like to develop assets to create value. No one cares how rich you are or what your ranking is in Forbes magazine."
- “For some sport is a hobby but for me it is a way to survive. It makes me calm, balanced and well-rested. Not tired but vice versa. I think sport balances off my work load.”
- “I don’t understand small businesses, only big ones. Marriage is the hardest small business.”
Did you know?
- He usually dresses like a sporty teenager in loose-fitting T-shirts and jeans.
- Despite his image of a Playboy and partyboy, Prokhorov says he's never been drunk or even tasted vodka.
- He doesn't have an e-mail address or a Twitter account, He enjoys writing letters.
- He can't type and doesn't even have a computer in his office.
- He doesn't even own a cell phone.
- He's lived with his sister (an editor of a literary journal) for most of his adult life; until five years ago, they lived in the same 500-square foot apartment that his parents lived in.
- There was a popular rumor in Russian media around his 42nd birthday regarding his marriage, that in order to win a bet he married someone in Maldives and divorced her a week later.
- his sister was harassed and insulted by local youths at a foundation event in 2010 and he issued a public threat to them, "Since I was a child, I had a rule -- to punish crudity and disrespect towards women. I see one simple and effective way to handle it: If the two gentlemen, who financed this PR campaign, do not apologize to my sister in the next two weeks, I will do what every man should: I will personally beat the shit out of them. You know that I will."
- His quotes always reflect that, he doesn't care how much he owns and really enjoys his work and routine.
- He is perhaps one of best Billionaire sports manager ever, his Russian teams has done wonderfully well in European tournaments.
- He made a unsuccessfull bid for Villa Leopolda and lost his 36 Million US $ deposit money he paid in advance.
- His private island in India Ocean, (North Island, Seychelles) hosted British Royal couple for their Honeymoon.
- In his first business of stone wash jeans he made 14 $ on per 1 $ invested. which may be one of highest profit making ratio in a non monopolised industry.
Family & relationships
Location: The world's 24th richest man Mikhail Prokhorov owns a mansion few block away from Kremlin, Moscow.
Accommodation: His Moscow home is not there just as a symbol that he still lives in Russia. His home has a large gym with skiing simulator, a indoor swimming pool. It also features a beautiful guests room with gold sculpture and some of his collectibles.
Last year Mikhail Prokhorov lost $53 million which was ust a 10 percent deposit of a villa on the French Riviera. The sprawling villa was for $530 million but he backed out of the purchase in 2008 as the global financial crisis gathered steam.
Indoor swimming pool
Palladium motoryacht measures 96 metres in length over all and was first launched in March 2010. She was built from steel, alloy and composite, featuring a sportive, innovative style. Palladium Yacht is powered by two diesel MTU engines to a maximum power of 19 knots and can cruise at the speed of 14 knots. This striking vessel can accommodate up to 16 guest in six guest cabins, one owner’s cabin and one nanny cabin. She is believed to be powered by 2 MTU 575 L70 Diesel Engines.
Orthodox look of yacht
The bridge deck
The aft bridge deck
Main deck aft pool area
The bathroom view
Exterior of Palladium
It is a 61.5 meter long yacht, powered by 2 X 2,600 hp caterpillar engines which can accommodate 16 guests at a time. It cruises at a average speed of 13 knots. Its has all the water sports facilities on board, from surf boards to water scooters, multiple nauticas and Waverunners. which is not a surprise given the sporty personality of its owner.
Mikhail's super yacht
Sun deck with Jacuzzi
North Island is a beautiful small granitic island (2.01 km²) of the Seychelles chain. It boasts pristine, virgin nature along with luxuries of a big hotel. This Island has a Library, Boutique, Dive Centre, Island Piazza, Bar, Multiple Villas, a grand villa. It offers facilities of Mountain Biking, custom made Gourmets, Scuba Diving, Kayaking, Deep Sea Fishing etc. No wonder royal couple chose his island site was chosen for the royal honeymoon of the Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and his bride Catherine Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge.
North Island in the Seychelles chain
Gulfstream 550It is a successor of Gulfstream G V-SP. It is powered by enhanced Rolls-Royce BR710 turbofan engines, the G550 has a range of 6,750 nm (12,501 km) at Mach 0.80 and a high-speed cruise capability of Mach 0.87, It's Service ceiling capacity is: 51,000 ft (15,500 m) and its customized as per the design chosen by the buyer from the various design that are on offer.
The ursa chair
Dassault Falcon 900Falcon 900 is a medium sized corporate jet aircraft made by French company Dassault Aviation. Powered by three 20 kN (4,500 lbf) Garrett TFE731-5AR-1C turbofan engine it can Cruise at a speed of 950 km/h (513 knots, 590 mph) with a fairly big Range of 7,400 km. It has a Service ceiling of 15,500 m which is comparable to large size performance aircrafts.
The roomy cabin
Dassault Falcon 900
Snow SkiingHe loves skiing and no wonder skiing resorts are his favorite holiday destinations.
BasketballGiven his height at 6ft 8in, basketball comes naturally to him and he played basketball during his youth as a amateur enthusiast. later when he became super rich he purchased a CSKA moscow basketball team and converted a average team into world beaters, later he acquired a high profile NBA team in 2010.
He use to play football in his youth and still loves to play it in spare time, he also supports and financially sponsered CSKA Moscow football team and later acquired some part of it.
He loves kick boxing and follows the game closely, he himself also is a amateur boxer
He is most famous for is night life. He is a regular visitor of elite nightclubs in Newyork and Moscow and often seen in VIP lounge in SoHo club in Moscow. He in fact said once, “Twice a month I go to the discos. I like dancing.”
IbizaHis yacht is often seen on cost of Ibiza, Spain. For a man who likes to throw lavish parties Ibiza is not a bad choice either.
Norilsk, a ski resort town in Russia, is famous for its snow skiing, beauty and privacy that it offers. Mikhail Prokhorov, the most handsome billionaire likes this ski resort town and loves to spend his leisure time here. Mikhail is really passionate about skiing, and this place also is one of best exotic locations in Russia. The surrounding areas of Norilsk are naturally treeless tundra, and the climate is extremely harsh, about -35 degrees Celsius. The city remains covered with snow for 250-270 days a year, and the sun doesn’t set for more than six weeks. The place has the largest nickel-copper-palladim deposits in the world.
Location: Norilsk is located between Central Siberian Plateau and West Siberian Plain at the foot of 1,700 meter high Putoran Mountains.
CourchevelHe owns a luxury chalet here and regularly spends time in this alpine resort. He use to throw new year parties here till 2008 for his fellow oligarchs and friends, till he was arrested by French police on charges of pimping.
Cultural Initiatives FoundationAccording to the foundation, "the purpose of the Foundation is the encouragement of cultural awareness and activity as the most important element in enhancing all aspects of life, and the Foundation’s activities are determined by its fundamental conviction that culture stimulates the creative abilities of individuals and society as a whole, leads to a clearer understanding of social issues and can assist in their resolution, and is the most important resource in social and economic development".
SnobBased in New York, Snob is a Russian-language, general-interest magazine catering to the global Russian elite, which is started by Prokhorov to give his country and fellow country man a better image and voice in USA. He invested more than 150 mn US dollars in this project which he considers as more of patriotic service than business. With so many Russians in newyork and in particular Brooklyn today it was said by Masha Gessen, deputy editor in chief of Snob, "In New York, it's really difficult to walk for more than five minutes without hearing Russian," and the effort to give them a global face was long due and required support of a heavyweight business mogul like Prokhorov.
Mikhail Prokhorov's FundIts a multidimensional fund which focuses on several projects like Initiatives in Arts, Science and Education, Development of Mass Media, Urban Environment and Sports and Public Health.
Gold Violin Sculpture
Mikhail Porkhorov has a set of 2 solid gold replicas of Violin which looks like fusion of 2 violin's merged together. He displayed them during his home tour on a CBS show.
Pierre KunzHe wears Swiss Brand Pierre Kunz , a Red Gold Tourbillon watch worth $138,000
We all know Mikhail Prokhorov as a New Jersey Nets owner but one thing that we dint know was he is a night life lover. He spends Most of the Friday nights hanging out with Russian movie stars, partying in the VIP area of Moscow club “Soho Club” with a horde of gorgeous women.