- Birthday18th Dec, 46
- Birth PlaceUnited States
- Marital statusMarried
- “Why pay a dollar for a bookmark? Why not use the dollar for a bookmark?.”
- “I dream for a living.”
- “I never felt comfortable with myself, because I was never part of the majority. I always felt awkward and shy and on the outside of the momentum of my friends' lives.”
- People have forgotten how to tell a story. Stories don't have a middle or an end any more. They usually have a beginning that never stops beginning.
- There is a fine line between censorship and good taste and moral responsibility.
- “All I have to do is pose for a picture and I'm getting married to the person standing next to me.”
- There is something about killing people at close range that is excruciating. It's bound to try a man's soul.
- “We were just doing a job and loving it. It had great success, and we were thrilled. Then it got bigger and bigger, and then, out of nowhere, one day you're reading that people are really annoyed. ... This [backlash] happens to everybody. Don't think you're so special.”
- “I hate that people think it's wrong to say you're inspired by Jaws or by Raiders Of The Lost Ark. You're allowed to be.”
- “There are three movies that I am exceptionally proud of in my life, and I rarely commit to a list of films that I like, that I've made, ... but these are the three films that I was passionately connected to. The first was 'ET,' the second 'Schindler's List,' and third is 'Saving Private Ryan.'”
- “All through my career I've done what I can to discover new talent and give them a start.”
- “Our one goal is to give the world a taste of peace, friendship and understanding. Through the visual arts, the art of celebration of life."
- “I'd love to build a company that will continue to make movies well beyond me someday. And I'd like to help start something great, even investing in it myself.”
- “I don't think any movie or any book or any work of art can solve the stalemate in the Middle East today. But it's certainly worth a try.”
- "I don't dream at night, I dream at day, I dream all day; I'm dreaming for living."
- The most expensive habit in the world is celluloid, not heroin, and I need a fix every few years.
- "Every time I go to a movie, it's magic, no matter what the movie's about."
- "Only a generation of readers will span a generation of writers."
- "The love we do not show here on Earth is the only thing that hurts us in the after-life. "
- If I weren't a director, I would want to be a film composer.
- I always like to think of the audience when I am directing. Because I am the audience.
Did you know?
- Steven Spielberg has been nominated for 13 "Academy Awards" so far, and received 4 of them.
- Steven Spielberg has been nominated for 15 "Golden Globes" so far, and received 6 of them.
- Spielberg was awarded the Distinguished Eagle Scout Award, for his career accomplishments and service to others.
- Steven Spielberg's fan list include the name of great directors like Ingmar Bergman, Werner Herzog, Stanley Kubrick, David Lean, Roman Polanski, Martin Scorsese and many others.
- An entire generation of great directors like David Fincher, Peter Jackson, Robert Rodriguez, Ridley Scott, Steven Soderbergh, Quentin Tarantino and many others considers him a influence on their careers.
- He is considered Godfather of actresses Drew Barrymore and Gwyneth Paltrow.
- He received the Distinguished Public Service Award, the U. S. Navy's highest civilian honor, on Veterans Day 1999 for his work on the movie Saving Private Ryan (1998).
- He personally offered the American Beauty (1999) script to Sam Mendes, who later on ended up winning the Academy Award for Best Director on the film, which was also Mendes's debut feature.
- In Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977), humans and aliens use the music and computers to communicate with each other. Spielberg's father was a computer scientist and his mother was a musician. This fact was later pointed out to him on "Inside the Actors Studio" by host James Lipton and he was unsurprisingly delighted when he realized the connection.
- He along with George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola presented Martin Scorsese with his first ever award for Best Director, for The Departed (2006). Scorsese is his good friend and like Steven he had to wait for an Academy Award for awfully long period of time despite being of greatest director of all time.
- His favourite film directors include Frank Capra, Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, and John Ford.
- Robbie Williams mentioned him in his cover song "I Will Talk and Hollywood Will Listen".
- He purchased actor Clark Gable's Oscar (which he received for It Happened One Night (1934)) in 1996, and gave it back to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. He commented later that he could think of "no better sanctuary for Gable's only Oscar than the Motion Picture Academy".
- He purchased both Oscars won by actress Betty Davis's for Dangerous (1935) and Jezebel (1938) when they were offered for auction for $207,500 and $578,000, respectively, and returned them to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Family & relationships
Spielberg owns a twelve-acre estate called as Quelle Farm and is his family’s summer retreat. The farm was built in 1740 and mixes classic New England architecture of New York of that era with elegant French accents.
Location: The estate is located near the center of East Hampton Village and Main Beach is just a short walk.
Accommodation: The mansion is inspired by the French architecture and has sprawling 19 rooms in it.
Neighborhood: It sits on Georgica Pond the area that is known for high-profile residents. Financier Ron Perelman and designer Calvin Klein has estates here.
Steven Spielberg owns a luxurious mansion in Malibu, where celebrities are often spotted on vacation. David Beckham who is already an owner of £11million mansion 30 miles away in Beverly Hills has moved along with the family to this mansion on rent for $150,000 a month.
Location: The sprawling estate is located in Malibu which is an affluent, beachfront city in northwestern Los Angeles County, California.
Accommodation: the mansion on the estate measures 7,237 sq ft in area. The house is constructed in Craftsman-style and sits on a double-lot with a sprawling lawn, which opens right onto Malibu beach. The mansion consists of 7 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms and an extended pool and screening room.
Neighborhood: Many noted celebrities owns vast estates in Malibu such as Mel Gibson whose mansion is listed for sale at $14.5 million and Brad Pitt who also owns a sprawling mansion in beachfront of Malibu and is listed for $13.75 million
Pacific Palisades estate
Spielberg purchased this Pacific Palisades hilltop estate from singer Bobby Vinton in 1985. He currently stays in this mansion along with wife and seven children.
Location: The estate is located in the Pacific Palisades which is an affluent neighborhood and district within the U.S. city of Los Angeles, California.
Accommodation: the Estate sits in the area of 145,860 sq ft/3.35 acre and the mansion is spread in the area of 8,932 square foot. the mansion is one of the largest houses in this area. the property has 5 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms and the estimated value range is between $11.7 and $20.9 Million.
Neighborhood: Earlier to that the extravagant residence had been home to producer David O. Selznick, ‘Douglas Fairbanks Jr.’, spouses Cary Grant and Barbara Hutton, etc.
He owns this $20 million Luxury estate in California, one of most expensive house in Hollywood.
Location: The Estate is in Brentwood is located in California which is a neighborhood in Northeast Washington, D.C.
Accommodation: The giant five story mansion is built in the area of 27,000-square-foot. The house is six times the size of a typical home in neighborhood. The house is constructed in a domed, retractable roof, subterranean stables and a spectator platform.
Neighborhood: the estate is located very near to the Marilyn Monroe’s home where she was found dead in 48 years ago. Brentwood real estate has served as home for the likes of Nat King Cole, Clark Cable and Judy Garland.
The San Remo
Steven Spielberg owns an apartment in a prestigious apartment building The Sam Remo in New York. Steven Spielberg combined two Park-facing units on the 13th floor of the tower. Recent asking prices have ranged from a minimum of $3 million to a high of $24 million.
Location: The Sam Remo Building is located in 74th and 75th streets, Manhattan, New York.
Accommodation: Steven owns two apartment on the 13th floor spread in 6,000 sq. foot unit with terraces. The lavish apartments are one of the priciest apartments in the city and are luxuriously decorated with all the modern amenities.
Neighborhood: the building has famous residents like Bono who bought his apartment form Late Steve Jobs. The apartments also includes famous personalities like Stephen Sondheim, Tiger Woods, Donna Karan, Demi Moore, Glenn Close, Stanley Donen, Dustin Hoffman and many more.
East Hampton mansion
Apart from owning Quelle Farm, an estate on East Hampton's Georgica Pond , Steven Spielberg also owns a house at the Hamptons that he purchased in 1983.
Location: East Hampton is located on the Eastern Long Island New York and is about 90 miles from New York City. The island being the favorite celebrity spot has many well known stores along the town streets including Tiffany's & Coach for its celebrity residents. The island is famous for its scenic views and beauty.
Accomodation: The estate includes a main house, guesthouse, a studio-complete with screening room, editing bay, and offices-horse stables, and staff quarters. He also bought few acres across the pond to maintain privacy. The value of the property has been estimated at $64 million.
The Neighborhood: Tha Hamptons is the favorite retreat of the elite New Yorkers, and has long been the favored vacation destination of billionaires including designer Calvin Klein, Dan Marino amongst others. It's the favorite hideaway of the rich and the famous.
The living room
Scenic property views
The skylit gallery
Seven Seas yacht
The Oscar-winning film director Steven Spielberg has got himself a new $200 million Oceanco Seven Seas super-yacht. The Hollywood director has been spotted in St. Barth’s and St. Maarten aboard his luxurious 86m (282.15ft) yacht. The Cayman-Islands registered, oceangoing vessel with the navy hull was built under the project name Y706 in collaboration with the designers Nuvolari & Lenard, Azure Naval Architects and the Wright Maritime Group. Dutch shipyard Oceanco built the Seven Seas to suit the liking of Steven Spielberg.
The luxury yacht boasts an infinity pool with a 15-ft. glass wall that could also be used a movie screen, so that Spielberg and his guests can enjoy a movie while taking a dip. Offering luxurious accommodation for 12 guests and a crew of 26, the Seven Seas yacht has a private owner's deck on a large master stateroom with a study and private deck area with a Jacuzzi.
Other highlights include a helipad, fully equipped gymnasium, a spa and massage room and an indoor cinema. The stability systems allow the Seven Seas to travel smoothly at 20 knots.
Seven Seas offers comfortable accommodation and all luxurious amenities for up to 12 guests in its 7 suites comprising 1 master cabin and 6 double cabins. In addition to the private owner’s deck, the main deck has 4 large guest suites and a full width VIP stateroom. The yacht has space for up to 23 crew onboard to ensure a relaxed luxury yacht experience.
Seven Seas is equipped with twin 4,680hp MTU engines, which make it capable of reaching a maximum speed of around 20 knots and a cruising speed of 14 knots.
Inside Steven Spielberg's Yacht
He owns a island in Madeira Archipelago off the coast of Portugal.
Paradise on earth
Bombardier Global Express jetPowered by 2 × Rolls-Royce Deutschland BR710A2-20 turbofans, 14,750 lbf (65.5 kN) each, This plane can cruise at an average speed of 564 mph/ 907 km/h. The plane has a range of 6170 nautical miles which is sufficient to be able to fly from Los Angeles to Kyoto or Amsterdam without the need to refuel. This is a smaller jet in comparison to the Boeing version and can hold anywhere from 8-19 passengers with 2-4 crew members.
CinemaHe is a self confessed Movie addict, and said that "Every time I go to a movie, it's magic, no matter what the movie's about."
Video GamingHe owns a Wii, a PlayStation 3, a PSP, and Xbox 360 and loves to play game. He has been involved with EA in development of games as well.
Aston Martin DB9 Volante
It's a high-performance luxury gran turismo (GT) car by Aston Martin, It 'Volante' convertible variant which is capable of producing 470 bhp (350 kW; 477 PS) from a 6.0L V12 engine. It can hit 0–100 km/h (0–62 mph): 4.8 seconds with a Top Speed of 306 km/h.
Aston Martin DB9 Volante
PortugalHe owns a island here in Madeira Archipelago of the coast of Portugal into the Atlantic. He regularly spends his holidays here.
Necker IslandHe has been among regular visitors at Sir Richard Branson's Private Island "Necker's island".
CorfuSpielberg made his presence felt before he even set his foot on the island, leaving the residents awestuck with his 85 meter long superyacht.
IrelandSpielberg, along with his wife, actress Kate Capshaw, and their teenage son have taken a wide trip of the country from the windy Aran Islands to the Dublin in 2009. After vacations he infact said he was "spellbound" by the skills of the local musicians and storyteller and said he was more relaxed than he had ever been in his life.
No on Proposition 8Spielberg and his wife offered their support to same-sex marriage, by issuing a statement of support and following their donation of $100,000 to the "No on Proposition 8" campaign fund in 2008.
Steven Spielberh has one of the original Rosebud sleds from Citizen Kane (1941) in his house.
May be his fascination with wars , or his father's service in second world war, we don't know the reason. But Steven Spielberg owns one of the largest gun collections on the East Coast.
Steven Spielberg shares more than film-making as a passion with George Lucas - they both are madly in love with the art pieces by Rockwell. The artist who had the uncanny ability to convey a whole story with a single painting has had a great influence on Spielberg's successful movie-making and directorial skills. Between him and Lucas there are about 57 paintings by Rockwell and an exhibition of all these masterpieces was arranged in the past. The whole world was amazed that the ace director had discreetly amassed such a huge collection of a single artist.
Pardon me, Shadow Artist, The Toy Maker, Christmas:Santa with Elves and Woman at Vanity are some of the vibrant and tale-telling pieces in the collection. These paintings are believed to be worthy of way more then the price this world's greatest directors has paid for them back when he bought them. Spielberg and Lucas both have intentions to to sell their art collection curated over the time. However, Steven is keen on exhibiting them and speaking about the profound influence they have had on him and his movie-making. In fact, the art exhibition had a 12-minute film which featured Spielberg and Lucas.
Steven Spielberg is a true art lover and that is proved by his collection of Norman Rockwell paintings he possesses. Norman Rockwell was a noted painter of 20th century and his work reflected the American culture of mid 20s. Spielberg is a big fan of his work and has huge collection of paintings as his collection. The director has many a time displayed his collection in various art galleries and has also showcased his collection in Smithsonian American Art Museum. Steve once did a joint exhibition with George Lucas called: "Telling Stories: Norman Rockwell from the Collections of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg". More than 100 paintings were on display and attracted huge art lovers. It is said that Norman Rockwell paintings often resound since of their representations of everyday life, but the life of one of his paintings has been anything but ordinary.