Tony Pikus – Cool Geek of the Week
Tony Pikus, the geek behind Appliancist, is here with his quirky answers, so let’s enjoy the interesting interview!
1. Justin: There are many kitchen blogs out there, but yours stands in a completely different genre with focus mainly on latest and pricey appliances. How do you manage to track the latest trends in the industry?
Tony: I write mainly about the newest and/or expensive because -
a) people always curious about new, gadgetry things – take Gizmodo, Engadget or many others
b) people like expensive things, those who can afford buy them, those who can’t window shop – take Luxist, BornRich
Tracking the trends is tough and is done by reading few magazines and searching many, many sites on a constant basis
2. Tim: Lillian and Joe are doing an incredible job at Trendir. How have you’ll come together as a force? Is it all fun or all work?
Tony: They do, don’t they? One thing lead to another and here we are. And it splits rather evenly between fun and work
3. Vikas: Tony, what drives you to enact roles of a mechanical engineer, database manager, bad credit advisor and, above all, an Appliancist? What gives you more satisfaction among these?
Tony: I gave up mechanical engineering in 1997 I think. DBA work gives me quite a bit flexibility and I am so good nothing ever breaks, ha-ha. Bad credit advisor is quite fulfilling as many people do benefit from the advice they get, but it is a difficult and extremely competitive topic. Appliancist is much more fun. These blogs are both quite delightful to write.
4. Amber: What are your interests apart from blogging?
Tony: I like outdoors and sports, both watching and participating. I read when I have time, mostly fiction and news.
5. Lena: What would you like for your Christmas gift this year…appliances or anything else?
Tony: I will get myself one of those expensive massage chairs, shoulders and back are tired of typing
6. Ethan: Appliances like Siemens avantGarde multiMedia Hood…do you really think there’s any necessity for appliances like these?
Tony: Hmm, my wife expects that one as the Christmas gift. If you are a kitchen person it is nice thing to have. Many folks have small TVs in the kitchen today.
Large kitchen is the living/family/dining room for many who spend time there.
7. Anoop: Your favorite five blogs apart from your own & Trendir?
8. Nandini: Your views on Bornrich & Instablogs Community?
Tony: Very good comprehensive concept from every angle, nice design and implementation backed by some solid Indian IT gurus. It is here to stay.
*RAPID FIRE ROUND*
1. Top Lies in you got from People filling Loan Application
a.) Length of Employment, b.) Sexual Preferences, c.) Income d.) Credit History e.) Others
2. Best Tip to go Green in your home.
Tony: Use electric appliances and utilities.
3. Top Phrases in a Real Estate Listing That Turn You off
a.) Fixer Upper b.) “Needs a Little TLC” c.) Seller Motivated d.) Cozy e.) “As Is” f.) Other
Tony: Seller Motivated
4. Your favourite skinny celebrity
a.) Calista Flockhart b.) Mischa Barton c.) Charlize Theron d.) Nicole Richie e.) Other
Tony: Mischa Barton
5. The TV show you were addicted to
6. One blog (except the ones you are working on) you would love to blog for?
Tony: None, have no time
7. Choice for President in 2008
a.) Hillary Clinton b.) Obama c.) John Edwards d.) John McCain e.) Other
8. The TV Show with the Best Looking Home
a.) The OC b.) Laguna Beach c.) Beverly Hills 90210 d.) Desperate Housewives e.) Other
9. Greatest Homer Simpson Quotes
a.) Doh b. Kids, You Tried Your Best and You Failed Miserably. the Lesson Is, Never Try. c.) “Internet! Is That Thing Still around?” d.) I Don’t Even Believe in Jeebus e.) Does Whiskey Count as Beer
Tony: “Internet! Is That Thing Still around?”
10. Top reasons why you lose your cool
a.) Bad Drivers, b.) Splogs, c.) Blogs stealing your posts without giving you credit, d.) Telemarketers e.) Answering Bornich Rapid Fire Questions
Tony: Blogs stealing your posts without giving you credit and bad drivers
We finally, thanks Tony for taking out his time for doing this interview with us and wish him ‘All the Best’ for his future endeavors!