- Birthday7th May, 56
- Birth PlaceRussia
- Marital statusMarried
Vladimir Lisin is one of prime example of rags to riches fairy tales akin stories in modern world. He started his career as a welding foreman in a steel plant, then he rose through ranks to become section manager and shop manager. Like all Russian oligarchs his fortune came with political change in erstwhile USSR. In the fall out of communism they acquired previously state owned assets at throw away prices in response for their support to democratic government of Boris Yeltsin. In 1993 he became board member of NLMK, MMK and Sayansk and Novokuznetsk Aluminium Plants and chairman of NLMK in 1998. He is Russia's richest man today and if we believe forecast of his wealth by financial pundits, then he is slated to become world's richest man soon. Despite all his success and wealth he is known more for his committed work style and not life style. He still spends most of his time at his workplace or his shooting range. Most of his personal life is shrouded in secrecy and not much is known, although he is known for one of his extravagant purchase of 3300 acre Aberuchill Castle at Scotland.
- I don't know. Maybe others have certain secrets, but mine is very simple. Work hard and it will work out.
- I don't think there's a blue chip
- A fight for clients who supply grain will emerge
- “I like the idea of being a country gentleman. I am looking forward to shuffling to my atelier [workshop/studio] in my monogrammed slippers.”
- "However, as last year showed, we are at the mercy of the weather and politics, two things we cannot predict very well or control."
- "Russia could easily become the No. 1 exporter of wheat in the world"
Did you know?
- Lisin's name means "fox" in Russian
- "He began as a foreman for Tulachermet’s Metal Works and steadily rose through the ranks to become section manager of the shop and eventually the entire shop’s manager. "
- In his own words it has been simply to ‘work hard and stay out of politics.’
- Vladimir Lisin has been a member of the Board Directors of Novolipetsk Steel (NLMK) since 1996 and its chairman since 1998.
- He worked as Deputy Chief Engineer and even Deputy General Director of the Karaganda Steel Plant (one of Kazakhstan’s four largest steel plants) before he joined hands with Novolipetsk board members.
- He had another bit of luck when his former boss was named the Minister for Russian Metallurgy and Lisin became the sole owner of Novolipetsk in 2000.
- "When he listed the company on the London Stock Exchange in 2005, he made a cool 600 million dollars from that transaction alone. "
- He ran afoul of Putin, tried to support several opposition parties, and was arrested for tax evasion and embezzlement.
- He is a keen clay pigeon shooter and loves his cigars too while he also has a collection of rare 19th-century cast iron equine sculptures from Kasli, a town in the middle Urals.
Family & relationships
Vladimir Lisin bought this 16th-century Aberuchill Castle in 2005. The former welder turned steel magnate bought this estate for grouse shooting and deer stalking.
Location: The huge castle is located 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) west of Comrie in Perthshire, Scotland. Castel is built in set in 3,300 acres — in Comrie, Perthshire. The estate also consist a 17th-century tower house, which was extended and remodeled in the 19th century.
Neighborhood: With the beautiful and posh location, the area has many elite visitors round the year.
Russian steel tycoon Vladimir Lisin is a proud owner of Britain’s most expensive residence “Park Place”, which is an 18th-century country house, spread in 300 acres of land. The richest man in Russia bought the grand estate for a massive $230 million.
Location: The lavish estate is situated in Oxfordshire, England.
Accommodation: The stunning Franco Italian estate is set in 300 acres of land, with 200 acres of parkland. The expensive home includes 27 bedrooms, out of which 10 have en suite bathrooms. The bedrooms feature original huge stone fireplaces, marvelous pieces of art and stained glass windows. The estate includes two golf courses, a barrel-vaulted Grecian grotto, some stables, spa complex, helipad, home cinema, high tech security system and 10 tenanted cottages. The property also incorporates a boat house on the beautiful river Thames, offering a splendid view of the river along with absolute excitement.
ReadingMr. Lisin's love for reading is reflected in his doctorate degree's in Metal Engineering and in economics.
ShootingMr. Lisin is a regular visitor of Lisya Nora sports complex and rifle range, He is qualified master of sport.
Mr. Lisin likes to listen to Bach or Tchaikovsky or the Beatles
Mr. Lisin is very fond of cigars and is cigar connoisseur
Kasli cast iron figuresMr. Lisin admitted in an interview that he owns few low cost klasi cast iron figues as his collectibles
Steel Tycoon Vladimir Lisin is qualified master of shooting. He first picked up a rifle when he was just 12 years old and since then has taken shooting as seriously as his business. Being the President of European Shooting Confederation he has several collection of shooting rifles.